Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Little Dose of Baseball


What I love most about baseball is the uncertainty. Some games end on a high and others end on a low. Yogi Berra's statement,"It ain't over 'til it's over," is the most clever and true thing a person could say about this sport. I've heard Brad say many times to his boys, "Sometimes you look like professionals and sometimes you look like the Bad News Bears!" This always makes the boys laugh.

The other day our team was down two runs and it was the bottom of the last inning. Everett came up to bat. I tensed up, crossed my fingers, and shouted cheers.  I always hold my breath.

Crack!

He hit a double and the two boys on second and third made it home. The score was now tied 7-7. Then like something you would see in a movie, the next boy came up to bat and hit the ball, so that Everett could score the winning run. We went wild!  At the next game, our team found themselves in the same position. We were confident the boys would come back. They didn't. We lost 7-5.  That's how it is with baseball; you win some, you lose some.

 I never dreamed this sport would impact my son's life so greatly.


The game of baseball has taught Everett the importance of teamwork, good sportsmanship, and individual success.  Baseball has, most importantly, been instrumental in shaping Everett's testimony. Last year, he learned what it meant to truly exercise faith and put his trust in the Lord. The Sabbath day is more meaningful to Everett. I can thank the wonderful game of baseball for these lessons in faith.

Everett has accepted that he would never play travel ball because some games are played on Sunday. Travel ball is far more competitive and would give him even greater opportunities. I have to say that it's not even an issue with Everett. He dreams of playing on a team, but he knows what is most important.

Now to make a long story short, I will share that one of the travel coaches is aware of Everett because Everett's All-Star coach has been telling the travel coach about him. The travel coach knows he is a good ball player, and he knows Everett will not play on Sunday. Circumstances on this team have presented an opportunity for Everett to play ball with them on Saturdays. Everett has been invited to come practice and participate in Saturday games. He did not even have to try out.  There are many other boys that could have been considered.

I asked Everett the other day if he thought this was a coincidence.

"No, I don't." He simply answered.

"Do you think Heavenly father is aware of you and your dreams? I asked him.

"Yes." He thoughtfully answered.

"Me, too," I agreed.

So, there you have it.

In baseball it's never over 'til it's over!

Yogi Berra also said, "You can learn a lot by watching."

I agree.

That's how I've learned everything I know about baseball.


3 comments:

Rachel said...

jeannie.. as a new mom in the baseball world.. this post brought tears to my eyes.. you have quite the son there.. i can only hope that my little baseball guy will have as much faith and devotion in the game and in the lord... :)

Quincy Sorensen said...

EVERETT IS SO CUTE! I hope he will teach Isaac everything he needs to know about baseball one day.

Meredith said...

We love Bobby! What a shining example of strength, both physically and spiritually. We are thrilled so have such a wonderful young man as a nephew & cousin. So glad for all his testimony building experiences with baseball.