Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Coach and Mr. Baseball





When I'm old,  I will remember the days of Coach and Mr. Baseball as some of my favorite.  Brad started coaching Everett about three years ago. I remember taking baby Cozette to the park. I barely paid attention--only when Everett came up to bat. I never noticed when Everett was in the outfield. I sure have come a long way. Nikki and I often joke that we should get part-time jobs as umpires. Sometimes, I even tease Brad that I should have been his assistant coach. I have never mentioned how much I love watching Brad with his teams. And I have never gone into detail how he has blessed the lives of so many little boys. There have been many parents come up to me over the years stating that he is the best coach they have ever had.   

One of my favorite memories is from last spring. We were playing in a tournament game. The boys were struggling. An umpire made a really bad call. Brad took off his hat and beat it against the dug out. It was one of those moments when the parents were watching Brad for his reaction. My sister and I started laughing. What struck us even more funny were some of the remarks of the parents!  

" Wow. I'm glad to see that he will get mad!"  

"I've never seen coach Brad mad before!"

"It's about time he got mad."

These were a few of the comments we heard. You see, Brad never loses his temper. He certainly never did with the boys, and he earned the respect and confidence of the boys and their parents because of it.

It appears Brad's coaching days have come to an end.  This is truly sad for me. Everett has been invited to be a part of a traveling team in the spring. This invitation was extended with the understanding that he does not play on Sunday. It amazes me how that boy has been blessed. I do need to mention that Everett had two other travel teams express they wanted him to be a part of their league if we would play on Sunday.


So, now Brad will turn in his coaching hat for a scouting uniform. He was recently called to be the 11 year old Scout Leader. He will be able to serve with Everett in Boy Scouts. We are very excited for this opportunity for them to be together.

Believe it or not, Boy Scouts is even more important to us than baseball!


3 comments:

Nikki said...

Can't wait for travel ball to start, but so sad Brad won't be coaching. I hope Everett remembers us when he's in the big leagues. And in the words of our favorite umpire, "Striiiiiiike!"

Quincy Sorensen said...

Personally, I think you should have this picture blown up and hang it in Everett's room. IT IS AWESOME! I bet Dad took it. I would pay BIG MONEY to see that brother-in-law of mine get mad. I still don't believe it. This was a special post.

Meredith said...

This is so sweet. I too love that portrait - it is fantastic!! Steve is assistant coach for soccer this year and it has been a great experience for him and Caroline. I am so excited for Everett and his opportunities - he is truly blessed!