Friday, November 11, 2011

Ode to Charles



11/11/11 is a day I will never forget. It is the day that my four year old daughter declared her love for a little boy. Cozette was sitting on top of the kitchen table, while I was sweeping. I heard her talking to herself. She kept repeating over and over, "I love him, Oh, I love him." This caught my attention, so I stopped and asked, thinking that she was talking about her daddy, "Cozette, who do you love?" Well, she got this little sly expression on her face and said, "It's a secret!"

I was absolutely flabbergasted.


This is how our conversation went from there:

Me: Cozette, is it really a secret?

Cozette: Yes.

Me: Cozette, you can tell Mommy? It's okay.

Cozette: Nope.

Me: Can I guess? Is he in your class?

Cozette: Yes.

Me: Is it Isaac? (she answered no) Is it Cooper? (she answered no) Is it David? (she answered no) Is it Anthony? ( she answered no)

I named a few other boys, and she said no about all of them. I had to pause...

Cozette; MOMMY, THERE IS ONE MORE BOY IN MY CLASS!

Me: I know. I'm trying to think. Cozette, Is it Charles?

Cozette: YES! I looooove him, Mommy.

I just about fainted from shock. I was processing that my four year old is in love, and that I have two much older children who never had any crushes this early-- or perhaps at all!

Me: Cozette, does Charles know?

Cozette: Yes, I told him yesterday.

Me: What did he say?

Cozette: Nothing.

Me: Well, what makes Charles so special?

Cozette: His dot is by mine, and we sit by each other in circle time.

Me: Oh, I see. Do your friends know?

Cozette: Yes. I told Laney, Reagan, and Ruthie.

Me: What did they say?

Cozette: (She laughed) They said it was disgusting.

Me: It's not disgusting. Did that hurt your feelings?

Cozette: No, I love him.

Cozette continued to talk about Charles for the rest of the evening. She even colored a picture of him. She told me that she was going to wear a special head band to school on Monday. I acted like it was no big deal. In truth, it is a big deal. She's growing up too fast--and I don't want her to.

It was a shock that only 11/11/11/ could bring!








I do love this little boy.
He makes class so much fun.
He decided to break dance right in the middle of our concert.

Cozette's preschool class.
I was getting ready to read a story to them at the pumpkin patch festival.
They also performed for their parents.
The skeleton twist was a big hit!


Cozette with her music teacher a.k.a Mommy.



 

2 comments:

goldapaints said...

Jeannie, Thanks for sharing that sweet exchange. I do believe you may have to keep an eye or two on that Cozette, though!

Quincy Sorensen said...

This is one of your best posts ever! That Cozette is so so so cute! You look beautiful, Mrs. Best Music Teacher Ever!