Thursday, July 16, 2009

Growing Pains

The Beehive Five

For months now
, Kayleigh has anticipated and prepared for girl's camp. She assisted me around the house doing chores and watched Cozette to earn her money to pay for camp. She has been counting down for weeks.

"I can't wait for girl's camp!" were usually the first words Kayleigh uttered each morning.

We had a special shopping trip to get her necessary supplies. It was complete bliss for Kayleigh to choose the special snacks she wanted to bring and share with her friends-- Chocolate Mint Oreos, Munchies, and a big bag of Skittles. Her bags were packed a couple of days in advance; she packed all by herself, too. When I checked her bags, I was impressed at how organized she was.

Then finally!

The big day arrived.

She popped out of bed as fast as she could to get dressed. I drove her to the church bright and early. While driving, our conversation was simply about how much fun she was going to have. She told me to hurry; she was concerned that she might be left behind. We were about two minutes late. I promised that her YW leaders would never leave without her.

Kayleigh was greeted by her best friends. She was so excited to be with them and to leave for the big trip. I helped her with her bags, took a few pictures, spoke with her friends for a moment, and then we gave each other a quick hug and said, "good-bye."

It was a very casual farewell. She was with her friends, and I am learning my limits when it comes to proper expressions of affection towards her in front of them.

I drove home, laid back down in bed for a few minutes, then I started to cry.

Brad came into the bedroom and noticed I was emotional.

"This week will fly by," he comforted me.

At that moment, I really couldn't explain the reason for my tears. I wasn't sure if I even understood my emotions.

I told Brad that I felt lonely for Kayleigh and life seemed to be out of kilter without her being home.

Then, I decided to get up to start my day.

The plot thickens:

Before I share my thoughts about why I was emotional, I need to add that Kayleigh was struck with a severe case of homesickness by the end of the day. We have been working through it all week. She fought a good fight--and endured to the end. I am happy to report that she decided to stay at camp.

What is girl's camp without a little drama?

It never dawned on me that Kayleigh would struggle with being homesick. I never dreamed that she would actually grieve for me the way I grieved for her absence the morning she left.

When Kayleigh left for camp, I was overcome with the realization that Kayleigh's days at home are numbered. She is now a young woman. Her childhood is behind us. In a brief moment, I processed the pain of when she leaves home for good.

And it broke my heart.

On a lighter note:

Kayleigh left behind a little folded note on our refrigerator. She wrote with red marker on the outside of the note,"Read if you miss me." In her letter, she expressed her love and assurance that she will be home very soon.

And that she would give me a very big hug when she gets home.

Truthfully, I have been so busy comforting and encouraging her to stay at camp, that I haven't had a moment to miss her!

A happy ending:

Kayleigh just called to say goodnight. She expressed that testimony meeting was wonderful. She wanted me to know that she shared her testimony.

"Every one was crying, Mom! It was the best meeting EVER!" She happily reported.

She said that she is "so happy" that she stayed at camp.

That makes all the growing pains worth it!

3 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

I know, I, too, have noticed in our last visits that Kayleigh really seems (and looks) so much older. She is just growing up right before our eyes. But she will never, ever outgrow her mother.

Meredith said...

I know how you both mourned each other - it was tough on a few of our girls at moments - I didn't stop to think how hard it was on the mamas! I mean, I know how hard it was on me, leaving Kate for the first time and weaning her the day before leaving for camp. I am so glad it was a great experience for her. Maybe next year will be easier on everyone...

Rachel said...

we were all so glad that she decided to stay. really. and her testimony was so sweet jeannie. she talked about prayer and how important it had that week at camp. she is such a sweet, sweet girl. :)