Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Arrow of Light



When Everett, aka Mr. Baseball, aka Bobby was almost eight years old, he informed his Daddy and me that he was going to be an Eagle Scout and also earn his Masters degree. We praised him for wanting to achieve worthy goals. Last night, we participated in the celebration of him earning his Arrow of Light award. This is the highest honor a Cub Scout can receive. 

I am very grateful for the scouting program. When Everett turned eight years old, he decided that he wanted to wear ties to church and not the "baby clip-on ties" as he called him. Everett went to the Cub Scout handbook, read the instructions, and taught himself how to tie a neck tie in a matter of hours.The following Sunday, he wore his new neck tie, that he tied himself to church. This is just a small example of the skills he has learned through scouting.

"Because of Cub Scouts, I have learned how to make catapults, a candy train, and a car made out of food. I learned the different swimming strokes. I learned about archery and how to shoot a BB gun. I like tying knots. The best part was the Pinewood Derby."

Congratulations Everett!

4 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

WAY TO GO, Everett! Everett will be a great Eagle Scout one day, for sure. I love the paint on his face and the picture with you and Brad. Love you, Everett!

Meredith said...

Awesome Bobby! When I was in primary and Uncle Steve was cub master we loved the arrow of light ceremonies. I always made a stash of arrow with the tip ready to be set on fire for Steve to use at the ceremonies. So proud of Bobby!

Natalie said...

Way to go Everett! What a handsome young man he is.

I love the picture of him with his mom and dad. :)

Unknown said...

Wow, that is awesome Everett! I'm so impressed. Wilson goes to Cub Scouts for the first time tomorrow!! He is very excited. His 1st pinewood derby is a week later--wish us luck (we are totally in the dark but very excited!!)