Sunday, May 9, 2010

Words of Love



The tradition in our family is to create our Mother's Day cards. I can't remember how long I have been doing this for my Mom. She has been the recipient of some clever cards over the years. I have written everything from the ABC's of motherhood,  motherhood top 10, to Mother's Day cheers and chants. My stick figure people have also been a favorite.

Now, I get to enjoy the pleasure of receiving these special gifts from my children.

Thank you, Kayleigh Bug, for still calling me Mommy. The greatest compliment I could ever receive is that I am an excellent dessert chef. You are my favorite person to party with.

And thank you for always eating dessert with me!





When I was doing the laundry a few days ago, I noticed a folded piece of paper in the pocket of Everett's shorts. I opened it up and noticed some writing on it.  

I saw three words: Mother's Day Poem.

I quickly put that paper away, so I could not see the rest.

As I read Everett's thoughtful words to me this morning, I started crying. This is such a sweet and thought provoking poem from an 11 year boy. I did not know that Everett was a poet.

Today at church, the children made Mother's Day cards. The children pasted a flower on a piece of card stock and each petal had a different question to answer about their Moms. One of the sentences that he had to complete was "I love it when you..."

Everett's answer was classic.

Yell at the umpires!



Thanks to Kayleigh Bug, I even received a card from Cozette.
Cozette has been saying Happy Mother's Day to me for the last two days.


This year I decided to write my Mom a letter in the format of a poem. Sometimes, when I call her, I will greet her as Penny, and sometimes I call her Golda, her given name.

This is what transpired this year:

Dear Golda,

I think it's time I told ya,
Just how much I love ya!

You are an artist elite painting with hues of red and golda,
Your art is truly a sight to beholda.

When I was little, you kissed my scrapes, cuts, and wounds,
It meant so much to hear your kind voice say,
"Come and let me hold ya!"

When those teenage years arrived,
your advice rang true in my ears,
"Be good, be kind, be true, is what I have always told ya!"

Now, I am a mother, and I am getting quite olda,
Thank you for helping when there are base boards that need dusting,
and laundry to be folda.

Now Golda, your life is one of service to your children,
it must have been foretolda,
May you be the recipient of many blessings,
Even a hundredfolda!


I wish I had on film my Mom reading this nonsense out loud. It was a really funny.  

Happy Mother's Day to my dear mother-in-law. Shirley has been a true friend to me since my very first date with Brad. The very thought of her brings happiness to my heart.


Happy Mother's Day.


5 comments:

Natalie said...

Jeannie, what a cute post! I love the handmade, heartfelt notes from your kids, precious! And the poem for your mom is perfect, I love it!

Hollering at the umpires, too funny! :)

Happy Mother's Day!

Quincy Sorensen said...

I don't think a mother could hope for more meaningful, precious cards. I love that you stumbled across Everett's poem (which is so touching) beforehand. You are a very blessed mother.

Nikki said...

Sister, you are too much. I do believe that we have you to thank for the lovely homemade card tradition. Your poem to Mom cracked me you...you are hystericala.

Happy Mother's Day, Mama J!

Meredith said...

This is truly a wonderful tradition!! You are one creative bunch and thoughtful, loving and loyal as well.

Unknown said...

I love how Kaleigh said you are a "party animal." It doesn't get any better than that!

Those really are precious cards for a precious mother. Lucky you ;D