Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Wedding



We traveled to Utah last week for the wedding of my niece. It was a pleasure to witness the sealing of Rebekah Dawn Simpson to Tyler Clark. She was married for time and eternity in the Bountiful, Temple. The sealing was especially meaningful to our family because my father-in-law, Bill, officiated the ceremony. It was very emotional witnessing a grandfather seal his granddaughter to her sweetheart. His words to Rebekah were tender and sweet. Three of them stand out in my mind.  

Time is fleeting.

I could not help but remember when I was the bride. Rebekah was only about seven years old. She was tall and lanky, full of life, and I loved her instantly. She has grown into a beautiful young woman.  I found myself thinking that time has indeed slipped away.

I thought of my own daughters.

Kayleigh's turn will come too quickly. I joked with my sister-in-law, Barbara, that when Cozette gets married we will be old women, and I sure hoped that we wouldn't be using canes by then!

Cozette was a flower girl at the reception.



My favorite part of the reception happened quite by accident. Rebekah started dancing with her father. I stood up to take some pictures, and as I turned to sit back down, I noticed Rebekah's brother Scott looking at her. His lip quivered with emotion, and he had tears come to his eyes. It was a beautiful sight to see a brother lovingly gaze at his sister. I told Scott that I would remember that special moment for the rest of my life. He expressed to me how much he loves Rebekah.



Outside the Bountiful Temple.




Kayleigh and Everett with Caroline. Tyler surprised Rebekah at the reception by singing a love song to her. Everett came up to me afterward and said, "I'm not singing at my wedding reception!" I assured him that he did not have to sing if he did not want to!

Cozette, Kayleigh, and cousin Caroline.

Everyone knows about "Caroline Style." She likes converse, pirate vests, jeans, Uggs, and anything else casual. I like to think of Caroline as Scout in To Kill a Mocking Bird. They even make some of the same facial expressions. This lovely dress was not exactly "Caroline Style," but she was a trooper and wore it beautifully!




I won't go into detail how B-A-D Cozette was part of the time!
I think this picture expresses it best.



True love.


Rebekah's and Tyler's wedding is a memorable experience that we will always cherish.

I took about 277 pictures of our trip to Utah.

More posts to come!  



4 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Rebekah looks like she is a big sister to Kayleigh and Cozette and not just a cousin! Wow, it is amazing to see her all grown up. I think of her as being Zoe's age. This looks like such a happy occasion, and it is so fun that your family got to be part of it. Cozette is the cutest little flower girl EVER!

Starr said...

Thanks for writing about this, Jeannie. I spent all that day thinking about the moments I wouldn't get to see. Hoping that Rebekah would have a day filled with glorious love. And I understand that she did.

Especially thank you for writing about Scott. Goodness, I love him. When I was a teenager, he was my favorite person in the world. We haven't got the same rapport now that we had when he was two or three, but I still count it a triumph when I get him to laugh.

PS. Rebekah was 12 when got married, but still very long-limbed and full of life. She made us a pair of matching kitchen aprons as a special gift for Jason and me. I almost wrapped them up, tattered as they are, to return to her on her wedding day.

Meredith said...

What a lovely post! Jeannie, you have a sweet way of capturing the sweet moments in words. I am happy we could all be there to share the special days.

Betsy Baugh said...

Savannah will be SO disappointed! Just Kidding! Please don't tell Everett I said that. Savannah would NEVER forgive me.

My Grandad was able to seal Mike and I. I is one of my most treasured moments with my Grandad. I'm so pleased that she was able to have the experience. It makes the ceremony very personal.