Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My Favorite Outfit



Dear Elijah,

I love this picture. I love this little outfit on you. Your Mama gave it to me three years ago. She knew it was special to me. You are wearing it in a favorite photograph of me holding you. I still keep it in a sealed plastic bag in Cozette's top drawer. I like to pull it out and hold it occasionally. The scent of your room has long faded. My love for you has not.

Three years ago.

Time is merciful. I have learned this lesson over the last three years.  This past Sunday,  Everett gave a talk in Primary on the Holy Ghost. He shared that after your passing, the Holy Ghost witnessed to him that things would eventually be better, and that his heart would not hurt forever.  I have pondered Everett's simple testimony. We cling to the Lord's promise. We place our faith in Him. There is a void in our lives and some days are heavy, but we are filled with hope.

Happiness fills my heart when I think of you. I remember when your Aunt Nikki and I would fight over who got to hold you. I like to believe that I always won. I was a little stingy with you. When you came for Everett's baptism, I had a terrible cold.  I tried to resist the temptation of kissing you, but I could not resist. I kissed you a hundred times, then I had to pray very hard that you would not get sick. My favorite memory is when you first came home from the hospital. I woke up at 6:00 am the following morning, because I heard you stirring in your parents room. I stole you from your Mama and it was pure joy having you all to myself in the quiet morning hour. We had the most delightful conversation.

I am grateful for my treasured memories.

It is a gift that I have so many.


Love,