Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Literary Queens



The Society of Literary Queens held its first official meeting last evening. It was an uplifting event where good friends enjoyed each others company; new friendships were introduced and delicious food was served. Most importantly, we discussed our beloved book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

This Guernsey Literary is the inspiration for our society.

We agreed that we would love to be friends those lovely people on Guernsey Island. Nikki dreams of meeting her own Dawsey. I personally love Isola. Elizabeth's humanity is something to be desired. The world would be a better place if more people were like her. 

We were tempted to serve potato peel pie, but we feared it would not be as tasty as Will Thisbee's potato peel pie.

We settled on Strawberry pie. 

Some of our favorite lines from the book:

"Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books." ~Juliet

"I hope you will come to feel Elizabeth by your side as I do. Her strength did not fail her, nor her mind, not ever--she just saw one cruelty too many." ~ Remy

"I don't want to be married just to be married. I can't think of anything lonelier  than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with."  ~Juliet

" I do love playing dead bride!" ~Juliet










Jill is modeling some of Nikki's  shoes.

I should have take taken a picute of Nikki's closet. A highlight of the evening was  when some of our friends went to check it out for the first time. Truly, it does look like a department store. Her shoe selection is something to behold.

The Literary Queens.


Next month: These is My Words.

Just the thought of Captain Jack causes me to have heart palpitations.



4 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

I have a big smile on my face thinking about all of this delightfulness! What better combination is there than a great book, yummy food, and delightful people? And Jill Frailey? I really can't think of a better combination (unless I was there, too.) What lovely literary queens!

Meredith said...

Oh, what a delightful night! The pie looks delish, Nikki's shoes look and sound so fun - I bet I would be giddy like Kate trying on all the shoes she finds laying around my house. I will finish that book, I will!

Unknown said...

I LOVE that book!! Your Literary Society is so inspiring ;D And the pies look delicious, of course! Can't wait for next month because I also love love These Is My Words as well.

ps--sometime we should all get together and play "Dead Bride" I've always wanted to play!

Natalie said...

Hi Jeannie, I do not know how I have missed so many fun blog posts! I have enjoyed catching up. I think it is so fun that you and Nikki have started a reading group. I read this book on my trip this summer and really enjoyed it. And 'These Is My Words' is one of my very favorite reads.

I loved seeing you and your sweet family when I was in Alabama.