Sunday, June 6, 2010

Dear Provo




Dear Provo,

My memory of you had faded. I had forgotten how beautiful your mountains are. Enjoying a cool weekend without humidity was an unexpected treat. Riding bicycles at night wearing jackets over Memorial Day weekend is a phenomena I had never experienced before. It delighted my children to count your LDS chapels. We counted at least 40 from the interstate as we traveled back and forth to Salt Lake City. We even noticed that in some places chapels were located across the street from each other. We stopped counting eventually. What was even more spectacular was the vision of your beautiful temples from the interstate.  

I finally went back to BYU. I started laughing when I revisited Stadium Terrace. I lived in apartment #2 for a year. I thought that place has stood still in time, because it had not changed since 1989. The only change was the jacuzzi area was filled with concrete. That area is now a bike rack. I wonder how many students have swam in that courtyard pool over the last 21 years?

My children loved BYU campus. They are already planning to attend your great university. Everett has the dream of playing baseball there. Kayleigh said she can totally see herself on that campus!

Brad fell in love with Cafe Rio. I was introduced to it last month when I was in Arizona. Brad has mentioned several times since we've been home that he "sure could go for some Cafe Rio!" 

There were so many wonderful activities and places for us to go. Hiking the "Y" was not easy. I never attempted it when I was a student. Even Kayleigh and Everett said it was difficult. Brad thought it was easy. He even carried Cozette on his back the entire time. We enjoyed eating ice cream at The Creamery. The Brick Oven was a family hit. All of the cousins loved eating there. My personal favorite was eating treats at Kneaders. Their raspberry bread pudding with vanilla gold smothered on top was out of this world.

The most special part of our visit was attending your beautiful temple. I did the work for a beloved great aunt.  In 1990, I had the opportunity to attend the temple when I was a missionary at the MTC. It was wonderful to be back.





I must be honest and admit that I was freezing here. We were not prepared for the cold weather. 70 degrees in Utah is not the same at 70 degrees in Georgia with all of the humidity.



These cousins love each other. 
Barbara and Mary-faith had not arrived yet.



The kids enjoyed the balloon hats at the Brick Oven. The last time I was at The Brick Oven was in 1990. My date mentioned to me that Donny Osmond was sitting across the room. I told him that it was not Donny, because the man I was seeing was not as good looking at Donny Osmond. My date went and got his autograph to prove it was indeed Donny Osmond! 


The famous Stadium Terrace.


Everett at his future stadium!



Future BYU students.



Cousin Co-eds holding hands.


Brad, Bill, and Shirley posing with Brigham Young!



The kids loved rolling down this very steep hill. I'm sure many students have done this over the years. It was a surprise to see the new underground library extension.



We finally made it to the "Y". I'm afraid of heights. I was worried that Everett would not be fearful enough. After we sat down, we witnessed a young boy tumbling about 10 feet down the face of the mountain. He was literally doing rolls. His brother was trying to catch him. Finally, he  caught himself. Truthfully, it was quite upsetting. We were very thankful that the boy was not hurt.


Kneader's Bakery
It took about 10 minutes to decide what I was going to indulge myself with!



Kayleigh is gazing at Edward who obviously has a crush on her.
Everett is trying to have a serious vampire face!


A view of Provo from the Y.


We know there was much more to do.

We simply ran out of time.

Thank you for being such a gracious host.

I hope to see you again soon.

Love,

2 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

This is one of my favorite posts ever. You sure packed in a lot of Provo fun while you were there. The cousins are so cute and Kayleigh and Everett are so big now, I can barely handle it! I am so glad they were able to see all of this at this particular age. Yay for Aunt Jane!

Natalie said...

Hi Jeannie,

I LOVE this post but I must say, it did make me really miss Provo. :) It is a GREAT place! It looks like you had a wonderful time, I really enjoyed reading all about it.

Enjoy your summer!
Natalie