Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sweet Home Alabama (Part Two)

Click here for part one.


After traveling with three little maniacs
for almost five hours, Quincy's beautiful home was a holiday vista. We were greeted with the sights, sounds, and smells of Christmastime.

Little cousins waiting for us on the driveway as they chanted hello.

Christmas goodies.

And lots of love.

We went to be with Quincy this weekend to attend the Madison Stake Christmas Festival. Kirk was invited to sing in the choir. Words fail to describe the spectacular Christmas music. It was stirring to the soul. Heavenly choirs could not have sounded better. The unique arrangements of traditional Christmas carols literally brought tears to my eyes.

It was one of the grandest productions I have ever attended.


Posing with Quincy in front of a Christmas tree made of presents.


Another highlight of the Festival are the hundreds of nativities and Christmas quilts. The gymnasium was transformed into a Christmas wonderland. The walls are lined with a collection of Christmas quilts. Nativities from all around the world are displayed in front of them.

There is also a live Nativity.

If you're wondering why Zoe and Kaija are not in any of the pictures, it is because they went through it about 15 times!





Previously, I mentioned that I had traveled with three little maniacs. I hope I can accurately depict the events of our trip. I purposely kept Cozette up all day. I just knew that she would quickly fall asleep when we left for Alabama at 5 pm.

It back fired!

She was so exhausted that she fought falling asleep.

She bucked and screamed for a full 55 minutes.

There was nothing we could do to console her.

Here are some of the frustrations that Cozette screamed over and over and over and over the entire time.

It went something like this:

"I wanna go to Kincy's house!"

"I wanna eat popcorn at Kincy's house at the little table."

"Toys."

"I want to play with the toys."

"I want baby Susie."

"Right now."

"Out. Get me out!"

"Please."

"Let me out."

'Daddy."

"My Daddy."

"Let me out."

"Baby Susie."

At this point, I am shaking in my boots.

We asked Kayleigh to sit by her. She and Everett were sitting at the back of the van.

Kayleigh politely cooperated.

"You go back day-ah, Kayleigh."

"Go back. Go back day-ah!"

"Day-ah" is the southern two syllable version for "there."

Kayleigh promptly left and I tried to sit by Cozette.

"Mommy, you go back up front."

She screamed this as loud as she could through the saddest tears.

I did not know she could express "up-front."

Trust me, I went quickly back to my seat.

She even screamed at Everett.

"Stop it Everett! Stop it!"

The poor boy never even said a word to her.

So it continued for an eternity and then she literally passed out from exhaustion.

When she finally fell asleep, I had to stare into the darkness for a little while to recover.

Brad said he has never witnessed anything like it.

And he will not ever have to again.

I'm driving next time!

Please forgive me for talking about the girl.

She couldn't help it that she wanted to be in Alabama!



This is Sir Prancelot.

I believe Papa made him while I was away at college.
Quincy inherited our little friend several years ago.

Zoe faithfully runs as far and long as she can as we drive away.
She yells, "I love you."
It puts a lump in my throat every time.


We decided to have a family race today.

The contenders were Quincy, Kayleigh, Everett, Zoe, and me.

I truly believed I had a fighting chance.

After all, I can run a whole mile now.

I beat Everett when I was expecting Cozette.

Oh! I was so hopeful.

Here are the results:

1st place: Everett Simpson. We were eating his dust. I didn't know he could run so fast. It blew me away.

2nd place: Quincy Sorensen. I never had a chance against the Queen!

3rd place: Kayleigh Simpson. To put into perspective how fast we were running, she can run an eight minute mile.

4th place: Me. I lost by a split second. Maybe it was a little more than that.


Maybe.

4 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I am so glad you were able to get pictures, Jeannie. There is no point to me writing a separate post when yours is so cute and captures the weekend so well; I will link to your blog from mine. Thank you! Thank you! We miss you!

Nikki said...

Oh! This is the most delightful post! It looks like y'all had the most marvelous time. I love, love, love the pic of you and Quincy by the present tree. Y'all are so gorgeous. Sister Q, I love your furniture--it is so fabulous! I love my seesters! ♥

Natalie said...

Oh Jeannie, what a fun post! I love seeing all of these beautiful pictures, it looks like you had a wonderful wekend in Alabama.

BTW, I must thank you for posting a picture of Q's beautiful new furniture, I have been excited to see it.

Meredith said...

Please don't make me race against Everett!! Please!! I wish I could visit Quincy's home sometime. It looks so lovely and oh, can it be at Christmas time so I can attend the Christmas festival???