Sunday, January 24, 2010

Eat Your Oatmeal




Now that we have the pleasure of early morning church, Sunday afternoons can be enjoyed baking delicious treats. Truth be told, even when we had church in the afternoon, I always found time to bake a little sweet treat for us.

These little babies are a variation of a holiday treat that Quincy made for us when we went to visit her last December.

They are superb.

Jeannie's Oatmeal Bars:

2 cups Quaker oatmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (not packed)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 bag Ghiradelli chocolate chips (I only use this brand).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the first six ingredients until dough forms. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of dough. Use the remaining dough to form a crust in the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan.

Bake for 5 minutes. Let crust cool for a few minutes.

Melt one cup of chocolate chips in the microwave for one minute or until melted. Stir in condensed milk. Pour over baked crust.

Add the remaining chocolate chips to reserved dough and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top.

Bake for 25-29 minutes or until golden brown. I usually bake mine for about 26 minutes.

Cool for about 1 hour.

Enjoy!

The little darlings are a great way to get your daily amount of oatmeal.

I sure am glad that oatmeal is so healthy!



5 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

OH, these look soooooo good. Make me some when we come in a few weeks! Yummy!

Nikki said...

You crack me up! I love the way you refer to them as little darlings, although I doubt I'd think they're too darling when they're resting on my hips.

Meredith said...

I just might try these - it looks so delish!!

Unknown said...

We also like to make treats on Sunday afternoon! But I tell my kids I will make a treat if they are reverent in church ;D That's right.

These Oatmeal treats look right up our alley. I will definitely be trying them. Thank you!

Natalie said...

Thank you for sharing, I love recipes with oatmeal. These sound really good! And I happen to know that you Parrot girls really know how to prepare a most delicious dessert.

I had to snicker (& agree) at Nikki's comment. :)