Monday, February 1, 2010

What's the Time?


I am becoming obsessed with minutes and seconds. Keeping up with my time is not about my speed-- it's about how far I am running. I am training to run my first 5K in April. This has been quite a journey for me. I was so pleased last November when I accomplished my goal of being able to run one mile for the first time in almost 20 years.

The race that I am training for will be held at the park I run at every day. I have the advantage of knowing this trail. I have mastered speed walking and running it in about 39 minutes 42 seconds. This was my first official time using the stop watch that Brad gave me for Christmas.

Truthfully, I was not so happy with this time.

I was determined to beat it.

The next day my time was 35 minutes 55 seconds because I forced myself to run more. Then I got my time down to 34 minutes and 24 seconds. I discovered that I was actually running most of the park and walking only until I caught my breath.

You can imagine how tickled I was the when I clocked in at 33 minutes 41 seconds.

I did the "woo hoo" dance.

Nikki said I was so hot that she was going to call the fire department!

My disappointment was overwhelming when I clocked in at 34 minutes eight seconds the next time I went running. I hit a wall and felt that I would never be able to run the entire trail. I was so deflated that I waited a few days before I went again.

Last Thursday I clocked in at 32 minutes four seconds. I am still not able to run the entire trail without taking little breaks. This is something I hope to accomplish over the next month.

Today was my best time yet.

31 minutes 43 seconds.

Brad's eyes almost popped out of his head when I returned home so quickly.

Slowly but surely I am reaching my goal. And in the process, I am experiencing the joy and satisfaction that comes with reaching it one step at a time.


7 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! Hooray! This is a FANTASTIC time . . . such a great accomplishment! You'll be running the whole park in "no time." (I'm just a little bummed that I can't run the park with you when I come. Well, maybe I could try . . . .)

Meredith said...

I am so thrilled for you and have loved "watching" your progress via emails these last couple of months. Today as I stood on the sidewalk waving to the girls as they rode off on their bikes, I was thinking about how my getting out and running thing started and when I got my first mile and how you are reaching your goals too and I was a little proud of both of us!

I wish I could come run Tribble Mill Trail with you and we could talk and chat and admire the little forest creatures and avoid the inevitable trail obstacles like fallen branches and low hanging limbs.

Nikki said...

Sister, I am so proud of you! In your honor, I've programmed the fire department's number on my speed dial.

Unknown said...

Jeanie that is sooooo great! I remember my first 5k. It was torture, but so fun at the same time. Keep it up! Running will eventually become fun for you. 32 minutes is WAY better than what I got on my first 5k, haha. GOOD LUCK!

Betsy Baugh said...

Great Job! We need to go together. I don't think I'm any faster than you. And it's way more fun with a FRIEND!

The Kipper Family said...

You are awesome!!!

Unknown said...

Wow! I am really impressed! Seriously, I am always impressed with runners. I come from a family of runners (me--not so much) and I know it takes hard work and determination. Becoming HOT along the way is just a fun perk, right? tee-hee ;D