Sunday, February 28, 2010

Colorful Conversations



Cozette and I like to sit at our kitchen table and color. I will tell her to draw a picture of our family, or our house, and she will quickly respond by saying, "OK, Mommy!" She will scribble on her paper with several colors and then proudly announce, "I'm done!"

I love the simple conversations we have while coloring together. I have learned that her favorite colors are purple, blue, pink, and orange. We talk about how much she misses her Daddy when he's at work. She asks how long before Kayleigh and Everett get home from school. She tells me she needs a snack. We talk about all of the little things that are important to a two year old.

These moments are priceless.

In the last several weeks, she has started having more detailed conversations with us. The other night she was laying in bed with Brad and me. He started asking her silly questions. Her answers were so cute. I wish I could capture her sweet voice and how she is not able to say her "r" sound and how southern her little accent is.

Brad: Cozette, are you a girl or a boy?

Cozette: I'm a girl, Daddy!

Brad: Cozette, is Everett a girl or a boy?

Cozette: Everett is a boy, Daddy.

Brad:
Cozette, is Kayleigh a girl or a boy?

Cozette: Kayleigh is a girl like me!

Brad:
Cozette, is Daddy a girl or a boy?

Cozette: Daddy you're a MAN!

We started laughing at her quick response.

Brad: Cozette, is Mommy a girl or a boy?

Cozette: Daddy, Mommy's a MOMMY!

I must have kissed her a hundred times after that brilliant answer!

Last Sunday, Cozette was sitting on Nikki's lap during church. She likes to play with Nikki's jewelry. Cozette decided she wanted to look inside Nikki's mouth. Nikki opened up and asked Cozette if she saw anything inside her mouth. Cozette paused and studied Nikki's mouth for a moment. "It's dark in there," Cozette answered.

On Friday, Cozette came up stairs and uttered several sentences. I could understand only one. "I made a mess...your bag, Mommy...!"

I got down on my knees and looked into her eyes, so I could ask her a few of my own questions.

"Cozette, did you pour water on anything?"

Cozette smiled and said, "No."

"Did you get into any food?"

"No."

"All right, let's go downstairs and see what you have done," I told her as I picked her up.

"OK, Mommy!"

When we walked into the kitchen, I saw that she had opened my coupon bag and scattered the coupons all over my kitchen floor.

"Oh my goodness, Cozette, look at this mess," I exclaimed!

Cozette quickly put her hands on my face to caress me and said,"Don't cry, Mommy!"


Two year olds sure do make life fun!


2 comments:

Meredith said...

If I could make bigger smiles than this :) I would!! :) :) :)

Quincy Sorensen said...

Cozette is such a cute two-year-old! Nikki told me this story with GREAT DELIGHT. It is certainly fun to be know as Mommy! :)