Sunday, February 7, 2010

Please Don't Laugh




Why is it so difficult to control your laughter when you're at church? And why is it always at church or some other sacred place when you seem to lose control? I have offered many silent prayers in my lifetime pleading that I can exercise more self-control and refrain from laughing.

It never works.

Trying to hold your laughter in causes a terrible feeling inside. You become very hot and it seems like you're going to explode. The harder you try to keep it in, the more intense it becomes. I usually try to put my face down or I bend over and pretend I am trying to find a pacifier or toy of Cozette's. I pray that my sisters and I do not have eye contact because that only exacerbates the situation.

Why just last Sunday Mommom had to shake her finger at Nikki and me. She even told us that we were not allowed to sit by each other anymore in church. I felt like I was 10 years old again. Nikki whispered something back in her ear. Ironically, I could see that Mommom had a big smile on her face; however, she has more self-control than we do--and she did not laugh. Mommom later told Nikki that she was terrible.

Today, I was minding my own business listening to testimony meeting. I was sitting in between Nikki and the Coach. Everett had been sketching some of his artistic doodles. He showed some of them to Nikki, and she told him that one of his faces looked really scary. On his own, he tried to draw the face bigger.

When he was finished, he showed his drawing to Nikki, and of course, she started laughing.They handed it to me next. For some reason, the drawing struck me funny. I guess because it looked like a bearded smiley face. I don't think Everett appreciated that his scary drawing turned out to be so cute.

Everett decided to show his picture to Mommom. Now, I did not see this part, but I was told that she got tickled and told Everett his drawing was cute.

A few minutes later Everett whispered something into Nikki's ear.

"I think Mommom thinks my picture is funny."

Then he had a second thought and added, "I think Mommom thinks it's her."

When Nikki tried to quietly relate this to me, I just knew we were going to die from trying not to laugh out loud. I guess at the moment, the thought of Mommom believing that Everett drew her as "the bearded smiley face" was more than I could bear during the middle of testimony meeting.

Nikki later asked Mommom what she thought of the drawing. "Yes, I really thought the picture was of me with a beard!"

I am going to repent.

Next Sunday I am not going to laugh one time during church!


6 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

I wish I could sit with you and Nikk during church and try hard not to laugh. :)

Meredith said...

I can imagine that crew of yours trying not to laugh during church - you crazy kids! I wish I saved a family portrait Lindsay drew last year where all us girls had beards. She had not mastered the perspective of long hair down our backs so our long hair was in the front. And we all had beards.

Nikki said...

Oh, sister! It is always so fun to sit by you at church. And I promise you that you will laugh at church next Sunday.

Betsy Baugh said...

You are so hilarious. You must have been pretty good at hiding the giggles because I didn't notice anything. I think Everett has a future in the art field.

Unknown said...

Have you ever got the giggles in the temple? Just ask Quincy--she and I got the giggles there once. It was bad

Rachel said...

i never noticed anything... kinda wish i did.. :)