Friday, February 26, 2010

I'm a Phillies Fan




Baseball. Baseball. Baseball. Spring season is officially here. Practices started Monday night. Sadly, the first practice of the season was canceled due to rain. The coach was very thankful that our first practice was scheduled for last night.

This year, our baseball association took a vote on whether or not they wanted to continue using college teams or switch to professional teams. Pro teams won 51 votes to 49 votes for college teams. The coach and I both preferred college teams.

So, now we are Phillies.

I tried to get the Coach to explain to me why he chose this team. He even chose the Phillies over the Braves, if you can believe that. He said that he has always liked this team and that his beloved Boston Red Sox was gone in the first pick.

"Why did you choose this team?" I asked him.

"I like any team that opposes the Yankees. I like some of their players and their logo. Plus, their manager is a good ole' southern boy."

Thank you for explaining.

I never wrote about the drama we dealt with the weekend it snowed. Try-outs for baseball were scheduled for that Saturday and were yet again canceled because of the weather. There was an announcement on the park's website stating that try-outs were to be rescheduled the following Sunday, but to check back for confirmation.

We were speechless.

The Coach had to draft another email about not being there on Sunday. We had a discussion about whether or not he should just walk away from coaching baseball. We never received a response, but it was a true relief when it was posted on the website that Saturday evening that try-outs were rescheduled for the following Thursday instead.

He attended a coaches meeting a few days later in preparation for try-outs. Try to imagine my excitement when he came home and announced that Sundays will be avoided in the future for make-up games. We live in the bible belt. Sadly, Wednesday evenings are more sacred than Sunday. For our family, it is an answer to many prayers that Wednesdays will be used for make-up games.

It is hard to put into words all that we have been through in order to keep the Sabbath day holy.

But, it has been worth it.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Yay! I can't wait for games to start. And good for y'all for standing up for what is right...it always works out. ♥

Meredith said...

I have been in the loop on this thru emails and I just marvel at the courage (of course Brad has courage to choose the right) but the courage to keep the upper hand in all of this and choose the high road. I am thrilled that this has worked out like it has and baseball season for the Phillies begins now in earnest. Go Bobby!

Quincy Sorensen said...

I hope I hope I hope I get to see Everett play! Go Phillies!