Sunday, February 21, 2010

Are There Any Changes?



This is Clara. She has been a secretary in Doctor Beck's office for about 11 years. She has scheduled many appointments for me. I have acquainted myself with many of the ladies that work at the Emory Eye Clinic. Last September, when I returned to Emory after taking a 14 month sabbatical from that place, I noticed that another one of my favorite ladies was not there. I was so concerned with the status of my eyes, that I forgot to ask Clara about China.

A few days later. when I had a follow-up visit, I noticed China's absence. She was the receptionist and greeted everyone. She checked you in. She was the friendliest person. She always asked about my family and showed genuine concern for my health.

When I asked Clara about her, she became very emotional. "Oh, I am sorry to tell you that China passed away earlier this year."

I lost my breath.

"What happened, Clara?" I could barely ask the question.

"She was diagnosed with a very aggressive brain tumor and died in a matter of months." Clara sadly told me.

I have had lots of trips to Emory since last fall. When I enter that waiting room, I still find myself looking for China. The waiting room has changed. It's a lonley place with out her.

Dr. Beck has been monitoring my right eye for months now. There has been a leak in the eye where had had previously done surgery. I felt so blessed when the area sealed on its own preventing me from having to have a revision on it last year. At the beginning of January, he noticed another area that started leaking. On Friday, I had an important check-up with Doctor Beck. I was hoping the area on my eye would seal on its own.

When I arrived at Emory, Clara called my name.

"How are you Clara," I asked.

"I'm great. How have you been? She responded and then continued. "Let's see, you were just here in January. Are there any changes?" She asked as she looked up at me.

"Well, I am not really sure. I just can't tell," I told her.

"Huh?" Clara looked at me like I was strange.

"That's why I'm here. Only Doctor Beck will know for sure," I tried to explain to her.

Clara put her papers down, sat back in her chair, and started laughing.

"No, Jeannie, I was asking you if there were any changes with your insurance information." I started cracking up. "You can obviously see what I am thinking about today." I said as I continued to laugh. "And, no, there are not any changes with my insurance since last month."

"That was really cute," Clara chuckled.

I waited in that waiting room for about and hour and a half this time. After seeing Doctor Beck, I reported back to Clara.

"Well, Clara, there are some changes this time."

"Oh, no. What's going on? She asked with concern.

"I have to have a revision on the eye." I told her.

"I'm sorry. At least, Dr. Beck is doing the surgery," she said to console me.

"Yes," I agreed and thought to myself how grateful I am for this.

We have been praying for the best decision to be made regarding the health of my eye. I was a little concerned if this surgery would affect the 5k's I have been training for. Dr. Beck expressed he was glad I was running, and I could schedule the surgery after I run both of my races.

My surgery is April 26th.

I know this is the best decision for me.

One day, I will gather my courage and ask Dr.Beck if I can take a picture of him.

5 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Clara looks like a delightful soul, and I am sorry about China. I really, really want to see a picture of Dr. Beck because I forget what he looks like. I know the surgery is for the best.

Susan said...

I'm glad to know you are being well taken care of but I'm sorry you have to have another surgery. No fun!!

Meredith said...

Sorry to hear about China - I know all too well what that kind of diagnosis can mean. It seems you have a fantastic group there taking care of you - you truly are in great hands.

Natalie said...

Jeannie, your posts are so enjoyable to read. I enjoyed this today. It sounds like you are receiving great care and I hope that all will go well for this surgery.

Unknown said...

I also hope your surgery goes well ;D Surgery is always a little scary--but you'll be triumphant, I know! No worries, friend!