Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Best Christmas Story Ever

Sydney at Halloween

I've had the pleasure this year of teaching the six year old class in Primary. These kids have made me laugh, and they have often been the reason for me going straight to bed after church! Today was our special Christmas lesson. We discussed why we give gifts at Christmastime. Their insight on gospel principles has made an impression of good upon me. I told them I wanted to share a Christmas story with them. My class understands that they must listen, because they will be quizzed afterward. The account I shared is of S. Dilworth Young, who was a General Authority for 36 years.

When Elder Dilworth was a boy, he dreamed of getting a fire engine puzzle for Christmas. He was jubilant on Christmas morning when he received this treasured gift. After putting it together, and playing with it for about an hour, his father came into his room and told him about a family from Denmark who did not have any Christmas presents. His father proceeded to ask him to give up his most cherished gift to a boy who was the same age as him in this family.

We all have heard different versions of this story. People make selfless sacrifices during the Christmas season to give to those in need.

Elder Young shared the feeling of joy he had after giving up his cherished puzzle. When I finished telling the story, I asked the kids how they would feel if they had to give up a treasured gift.

They paused for a moment to contemplate this. No one answered me.

Sydney then spoke up, "Sister Simpson we did that once."

"Your family gave up your Christmas?" I was incredulous.

"Well, we just got a new Wii, and when we started playing with it, my mom came in the room and told us about a family who only had one dollar," She explained to me.

"Did you give them your Wii?" I was eager to know.

"Yes. We did." She answered like it was no big deal.

"Sydney, that is the NICEST thing I have ever heard." I practically had tears in my eyes.

Sydney looked at me, popped a chocolate in her mouth, and nonchalantly responded, "Well, actually it was the worst day of my life!"

I have been laughing all day.


3 comments:

Nikki said...

I've thought about this several times today, and it cracks me up! Sydney is such a doll!

Quincy Sorensen said...

I wonder if they got another Wii. Did you tell her mother this story? I would love to sit in on your Primary class. Lucky kids!:)

Ed Parrott said...

Merry Christmas to You & Yall Jeannie!