Thursday, December 30, 2010

Day Three

I put lipstick on.


When I looked at my face in the mirror this morning, I thought to myself surely the bride of Frankenstein had seen better days. Nikki had planned to come see us this week, and I had mentioned to my family that she might laugh when she saw me. She said that she would try her hardest to refrain. As I was getting ready, I was worried that when she saw me that she would not laugh. Then I would know how badly I really looked.  

When Nikki arrived, her expression did not reflect any humor, only concern. I was afraid of that. However, after she had been with me for about 30 minutes, she said, "Too bad it's not Halloween."

Funny.  

I had my first public outing today. We went to Target. Nikki said that my new purple sunglasses match the bruising on my face perfectly.

That was funny too.

In all seriousness, we joke to ease the pain. We are counting our blessings this week. As we go over what happened, it amazes us how blessed I am. For instance, at the last minute, I considered taking my sunglasses off, but I felt that I shouldn't. My sunglasses probably saved my eye.

One day when I am completely healed, we really will look back at this and laugh. 

4 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Oh, this is so sad. I hope you are feeling lots better today. I love you.

Meredith said...

You have been such an amazing example of strength thru a crummy situation, laughing thru the pain, and helping everyone cope. I have high hopes for a great check up today!!! Love you!!

Natalie said...

Oh, my goodness Jeannie. I am so sorry to learn of this painful accident. I will say, you are amazing! You tell of this experience through humor and strength. I hope you are feeling much better now. Thinking of you.

Julie K. Rennesund said...

Dearest Jeannie,
I just read about your racing accident. Poor you, you are amazing. What a great mom you are, love Julie =)