Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

I started crying at this picture of my dad, and other men
from our ward attempting to clean up the remains of this home.
The devastation is overwhelming. 


I had a very special Mother's Day with my mom, daughters, and sister this year. I awoke this morning to a home absent of Brad and Everett. They were in Alabama, along with Papa, helping with the tornado relief effort. Everett came home and said that he was grateful for what he has, "so many people have nothing now," he expressed to me. This has been a day of reflection. I am thankful to be a mother. I am thankful for my beloved husband--for my dear children. I have been blessed with wonderful parents. I love my Mom. She is so dear to me. I love my mother-in-law.

My blessings are endless.    

My Dad told us about a home that looked like a tree had cut it in half like a knife.


Everett said he saw the the roots of a tree 
that were bigger than our kitchen.


Tonight the ladies in our ward, received an email from our Elder's Quorum President, with the following email message attached from the daughter of an elderly gentleman who received assistance today.

"How do you thank people enough for sharing their faith.  There's no way possible. To all the wives, mothers, and grandmothers who shared their sons to help us in Moody, AL you can be very proud of them all. They have given me the best Mother's Day gift possible. They worked on my 84 year old father's property  all day. He told me this morning he thought he would never see his shop again because of all the trees, but now he can. He is in stage four lung cancer but it thrilled his soul to see your fine young men working for him, a total stranger.  We can never repay you, but know that we will always remember you and thank God for revealing Himself to us through your church.

Thank you, 

Judy Martin

Brad and Everett told me about this family. Brad shared how they graciously provided drinks for them. He said that at one point he looked for Everett, and saw him dragging a tree limb with one hand and was drinking a soda with his other.

This has been the most meaningful Mother's Day of my life.

4 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

That picture of Dad brings a lump to my throat. He will keep cleaning-up til he is 80?

I know Everett will remember this experience, and that it will bless his life. I am glad you had a good Mother's Day; it's a gift to have a son (and husband!) who was willing to serve.

Meredith said...

Can I send Steve on a plane out to work with them if the experience comes up again? What a wonderful opportunity to work and serve together. For father and son, (and FIL and SIL), quorum members, for the people who need help the most. Several experiences of service as a youth have stuck with me forever - and I know this will be the same for Everett.

Natalie said...

Hi Jeannie. What a touching post. I am sure this is something that will stay with Everett, what great examples of service surround him.

Julie K. Rennesund said...

Thank you for sharing this, you do have an amazing dad. Please give him a hug for me =)
love Julie