Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Re-dedication of the Atlanta Temple


It would be nice to know how many people were influenced for good because of the open house and re-dedication of the Atlanta, GA Temple. There must be thousands--I sincerely believe that everyone who entered those sacred doors felt something heavenly. I had the unique opportunity of working several shifts at the open house. My sister, Nikki, and I spent an entire day serving as ushers and tour guides. Being with my little sister and serving as an usher in the temple was a wonderful experience. During my shifts, I saw the faces of over a thousand people. It seemed the entire spectrum of humanity was represented.

My location as an usher allowed me to observe people several times as they toured the temple. There was one woman in particular that made an impression upon me. As she walked towards me, we smiled at each other. She had very long flaming pink hair, she wore a halter dress, and she was tattooed all over her body. It would be easy to judge her appearance, but her hair color and tattoos are not what I recall about her. I was humbled at the quiet reverence about her countenance. It was easy to see that she was in awe of her surroundings and was humbled by the beauty of the temple. I knew that she was touched by what she saw. And she touched me. She was a reminder that we are never to judge others. Only the Lord knows what is in a persons heart, and I believe that I had a small glimpse of hers.

I witnessed several v.i.p. tours, not that these people were treated any better, but these were people who were at the temple for special reasons. I enjoyed seeing a Jewish rabbi. He was interested in every detail, and I could also hear him asking questions. There was a contractor who toured because the church is interested in buying property from him. He wanted to see what the LDS church does with real estate they purchase. I found that to be very interesting.

There were countless members taking their families through. Children oohed and ahhed as they walked the beautiful halls. Brad and I took our children, too. While we were in the sealing room, Cozette said, This is where my Mommy and Daddy were married!" Then she pointed at the alter and said, "And that is where they put their cake!" Brad and I also served at the temple together. He helped with parking outside, and I helped with the tour guides again. At the end of each tour, I would grab a cookie from the hosting tent and meet him at a gate to pass him cookies.

There are experiences in life we hope to never forget. Brad and I discussed how we wanted to always remember the powerful spirit that was at the temple during the open house. It was tangible, and we could see it on the faces of everyone we encountered. We visited with many friends. I was overcome with a feeling that this is what heaven will be like. We were promised there would be miracles because of the open house. The greatest blessing for our family is an increased desire to serve and a greater testimony that the temple is the house of the Lord. I left with a resolve to try harder to be like my Savior.  President Monson said the re-dedication of the temple was in essence an opportunity for us to rededicate ourselves to the Lord.

That is what we hope to do most.

If you stumble upon my blog, and are interested in learning more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, please click here.


2 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

I know I have been uplifted by your testimony of your experiences ushering and touring-guiding. Thank you for sharing them. I have really enjoyed my small part in this experience through my sisters and parents.

Meredith said...

I have really enjoyed hearing about your experiences with the temple tours. What a blessing to experience this - I have never had the opportunity. I know you will treasure this experience always.