Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Restored



Autumn has arrived. I didn't want to water my flowers this morning. I am ready to plant some Pansie's but this pot of withering Vinca reminded me of a wonderful experience I had earlier this week and how Heavenly Father is able to restore all things.

So, I watered this little pot of flowers.

My eye glasses recently broke, so I had to go buy some new ones on Monday. I had an optometrist who is not my usual ophthalmologist refract my eyes. As I proceeded to tell this young doctor about the history of my steroid-induced glaucoma, cataracts, and the many surgeries I have had on my eyes, I could tell her curiosity was peaked and she had questions for me.

"How old were you when you were diagnosed with Glaucoma?"

"I was 21," I informed her.

"Oh, you were so young to have to deal with this disease." She kindly responded.

"Yes, but I have seen many miracles and even my doctors at Emory University have acknowledged the Lord's hand in my life." It was important for me to share that with her.

She did not respond but I could tell she was processing what I said as she continued to refract my left eye and had me look through different lenses to improve my vision. She then said it was time to look at my right eye.

" Oh, I need to tell you that I had a vein occlusion (mini-stroke) in this eye back in 1993 and my central vision has been affected by it." I had forgotten to tell her this earlier.

"What was your vision in this eye after that happened?" She asked.

"20/2200 but it has improved over the years." I responded.

When the eye examination was complete. She took a minute to talk to me.

"We were able to refract your left eye to 20/30 and your right eye to 20/50. I am amazed by this. I would like to tell you based on your history and my experience as a doctor, you should be seeing about 20/2200 out of both eyes. Your vision should not be this good. I can tell you that you have had the Lord's hand in your life."

I cried most of the way home as I thought about how different my life would be if I did not have my vision and how grateful I am that it has been preserved.


Watering my Vinca today reminded me of what my Heavenly Father has done for me.

5 comments:

Meredith said...

I know you have had so many struggles and faith promoting experiences, if not miracles through this. Thank you for sharing and reminding us the power the Lord can have in our lives.

Your flowers look beautiful. My flower pots are dead. Time to plant something new! Like yesterday!

Quincy Sorensen said...

I love the way this all came together, Jeannie. The picture is especially profound. I love you.

Rachel said...

What a beautiful experience, thanks for sharing. And have fun this weekend meeting the new baby!!

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

Hey Jeanine!
This is Natalie (Kilgore) Giddens. I was so thrilled to find your blog. It's been years! I can't believe how big your kids are. They are beautiful! And we think Everett's a pretty sweet name - we used it with our little guy.

What a beautiful and amazing story about your eyes and our Heavenly Father. Ten years have passed since you were my Laurel advisor and you're still such a good example to me!

Take a look at my blog sometime since some of your old Laurels are bloggers (Jamie Hemsley Tryon, Laura Lee Page and Rozzy Rhodes Wood can all be found from my page).

Nikki said...

Sister, you put this into words so beautifully. I love the way you came full circle using the flowers as a metaphore. Love you!