Saturday, September 20, 2008

What is a Mommom?

Happy Birthday Mom!


For the record, I think it is necessary to tell how Mommom got her name. When Kayleigh was born, we couldn't decide on what name she would be called by her grandchildren. Every name we thought of didn't seem to fit her. So, we decided on nothing.

Little Kayleigh was the person who decided the name for us. We were visiting Mom one day. Kayleigh was just starting to talk and tried to say, "Grandma" but it came out,"Mommom."

Mom and I looked at each other with wide eyed wonder.

I think Kayleigh at the age of 2 was inspired.

We have been calling her Mommom ever since.

I stopped buying Birthday and Mother's Day cards for Mom years ago. I am "famous" in my family for my stick figured cards. Kayleigh and Everett also create cards for her. She has saved them all.

Our most favorite card asks the following:

What do you call an upside down Mommom
?
A Wowwow.

That one was a real hit. .

One year I listed the top ten lessons I have learned from her. I can't remember what numbers two through nine were but for a surety, I remember the #1 lesson:

NEVER leave the house without your lipstick on. You never know who you might run into.

I still faithfully follow her wise words and, trust me, there have been many times I have been grateful that I had it on!

What is a Mommom? She is a person who loves her family. She is the perfect Grandmother. She always has time for you. She cleans your base boards. She lets you call her 10 times a day just to tell her things like:

There is another hurricane forming in the gulf.
Guess what Cozette just did?
Oh yeah, This happened at church yesterday.
Can Dad come over tonight to help us?
You have got to turn FOX news on right now!
I just fell down my stairs.

The list goes on.

That is what a Mommom is.

3 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

What beautiful words, Sister. This will mean so much to mom. She sure is a wonderful Mommom and a blessing to all of us. Love YOU!

Your blog looks AWESOME!

Meredith said...

That is so sweet. Thanks for sharing how she got her name. Lindsay named my mom "Nama." I love your mom - I am so glad I can call her family, if only through you. You are so lucky to have her so close. I miss being that close to my mom, to have her come over at moment's notice, to being able to call her 12 times a day to ask her or tell her the most mundane things or ask for a quick bit of advice. Now, Molly and I do that for each other.

Mary-Faith said...

Happy birthday Penny! Mommom is a good name for her!