Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Season of Joy

Put aside your work
Put aside your worries.
Put aside your troubles.
It's the season of joy!


Everett surprised us when he expressed his interest in singing in the school chorus. I like to secretly listen to him while driving in the van. I never make a comment. I know he will not sing if he thinks I am listening to him. I have this happy little secret of knowing that Mr. Baseball can carry a tune.

His secret is out now.


Tonight was Everett's Christmas choral performance. The fourth and fifth graders proudly presented, "A Season of Joy."

I thought Mr. Baseball's fans would like to know some of his feelings about this very important event. Please keep in mind that he is a man of few words AND I have to call him Everett since baseball season is over.

Me: Thank you, again, for your time.

Everett: OK.

Me: What made you decide to be in the chorus?

Everett: I thought it would be fun.

Me: Was it hard having to get up at 6:45 in the morning for practice?

Everett: Yes.

Me: Did Mrs. Johnson have you warm up your voice?

Everett: Mrs. Johnson had us sing, "I like ice cream scales." Everett then breaks out singing these scales for me. It was very amusing.

Me: That is very nice. Did you have a favorite song tonight?

Everett: Yes. The Santa Claus Rock.

Me: Will you sing some of the lyrics for me again?

Everett: (hesitates and starts to laugh) Wave to the people. Stomp with your feet. Hands on your hips. Now, twist with the beat. And rock. The Santa Claus rock.

Me: Oh, I loved that song.

Everett: Did you see the principal doing the twist?.

Me: Yes, that was great. Do you want to know my favorite song?

Everett: Oh, Yeah...

Me: "Yankee Doodle Santa." I loved the line that said, " Yankee doodle came to town a riding on a reindeer. Santa's a Yankee doodle boy." Do you think Santa Claus is really patriotic?

Everett: (smiles sheepishly) Yes, because he wears red and white.

Me: Do you think we could sing a duet together?

Everett: Hmm. I guess.

Me: In church?

Everett: NO WAY!

I went too far on that one.

Me: What was the best thing about tonight?

Everett: Going to Dairy Queen to get a treat after the concert was over.

Everett: Good night, Mom.


I guess the interview is over.


Christmastime is a season of joy!

Another highlight of the evening was the Gwinnett Gladiators' mascot coming to the school. Cozette liked him from afar. Kayleigh's chorus recently sang at a Gladiators game.
Stay tuned for her Christmas concert.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

This is awesome...and you know what part I think is the best, besides the singing and all, the Under Armor choir attire. The reflector is so cool! I can just see the (imaginary) scene now - "Mom, I have to wear a solid red shirt for chorus. I will wear my red Under Armor shirt - it is solid red and of course a very Mr. Baseball thing to do. it will be perfect."

I am sure you had to try very hard to play it cool when he said he wanted to be in the chorus. I am really quite proud of him. Please thank him for his adoring fans for granting an interview. I knew he could sing (better than me) after the whole Carpenter's incident in Asheville!

Anonymous said...

I love interviews with Mr. Baseball! (I mean Everett...)

Quincy Sorensen said...

Sister, your posts are always so fun. Tell Everett I enjoyed the interview and look forward to the next one. I wish I could hear him sing myself. Better yet, wish I could have been there! Love you all!

Nikki said...

Seriously, I think there's a blog monster that eats my posts. Not cool! :( Anyway, I do love your interviews with Mr. Baseball, I mean Everett. Someone should interview you about what a good mom you are. ;)