Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sing Noel

Someone has a halo above her head.


The sounds of Christmas have always been my favorite. Tonight was Kayleigh's final choral performance. She was granted an opportunity to sing a song with the 7th and 8th grade ensemble. It is a blessing living in the "Bible belt." Somehow, separation of church and state has no bearing on our middle-school chorus. It was a pleasure hearing Christ centered songs; along with some of my favorite traditional Christmas carols.

I wish that everyone could have an opportunity to hear African-American spirituals.

This music is stirring beyond words.

Some of the highlights of the performances were other songs about Hanukkah, a crooning version of Rudolph, and my personal favorite, "Carol of the Bells. "

Tonight's finale was a special arrangement of the chorus singing 23 carols in three minutes! After counting about 11, I lost track because the harmony and descant was so beautiful. I think at one point, the chorus was singing three different songs at the same time.

It was absolutely incredible.

I do have to mention that Cozette was a little rooster because she was not on her best behavior during some of the songs. However, in her defense, I must praise her for being very gracious at the end of every song giving the singers a big round of applause.

It was really funny.

4 comments:

Mary-Faith said...

It looks like the program went great!

Nikki said...

Someone forgot to tell me about this! :(

Quincy Sorensen said...

These were two great posts. I love the songs and am so proud of Kayleigh Bug (why, by the way, is looking so OLD and BEAUTIFUL). Where did that rocker come from? I am cracking up. What a fun Christmas with Cozette!

And I like Mary-Faith's new picture!

Meredith said...

I wish I could have heard all of that - I bet it was incredible. I am so thrilled for all your kiddo's singing talents. I wonder if Lindsay will want to join chorus or mallet club or band or whatever we have at school. We will see how that goes.