Saturday, February 7, 2009

Meet the Coach

The coach hurt my feelings...


The big day has arrived: Baseball try-outs. The coach and Mr.Baseball returned home from a very important day of judging and trying-out for baseball. It appears that Mr. Baseball has a glum face.

I must find out why.

But first, I need to speak with Everett's new coach:

Me: How does it feel to be coach?

Coach: It feels great.

Warning: If you think Mr. Baseball is a man of few words, the coach says even fewer.

I will have to use my very best interviewing skills!

Me: Do you have any coachly advice?

Coach: You're very pretty.

Me: Please, be serious.

Coach: OK... I enjoyed the try-outs today;getting to see how good the boys are. I am especially looking forward to the draft tomorrow and finding out which boys will be on my team.

Me: What college team do you want your team to be named after?

Coach: Our first choice is the Texas Tech Red Raiders, they are new to the league this year. Every one wants this team. Our second choice is Stanford, then GA Tech, and lastly UNC.

Me: I hope you get your top choice.

Coach: Me, too.

Me: So, tell me about Mr. Baseball's try-outs today. He seems sad.

Mr. Baseball joins our conversation.

Mr. Baseball: (is very serious. Baseball is serious business.) It went OK. I wasn't ready for the pitching machine.

Me: Why not?

Mr. Baseball: It didn't imitate an arm. But, some do.

Me: I don't understand.

Coach: It doesn't imitate a pitchers arm coming down to give him notice of the ball. The pitching machine delivers the ball a little different than a live pitcher.

Mr. Baseball: The pitching machine beat me today.

Me: I heard you got a solid hit.

Mr. Baseball: Yes, I did.

Me: What is my baseball philosophy?

Mr. Baseball: (Smiles) C'est something.

Me: Yes. C'est la vie. That's life. When it comes to hitting baseballs, you'll hit some and miss some. All baseball players do.

Coach: Mr. Baseball did just fine. Most of the boys struggled against that pitching machine today.

Me: Well, are you excited for baseball season?

Mr. Baseball: Yes, it seems like I have not played baseball in forever.

Me: Do you have any thing you would like to say about this season?

Mr. Baseball: This is going to be the best season because my Daddy is the coach.

Me: Yep. Those boys don't know yet how lucky they are to have such a good coach.

Coach: Maybe, you can be the team mom.

Me: I'm not so sure about that one!


Here's to a great Spring season!

5 comments:

Meredith said...

Cute coaches who want to recruit team moms shouldn't tell cute moms to stop taking pictures! And, from the family in AZ, we hope you get your first choice but probably secretly hope you are Carolina Blue!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Jeannie, your blog looks FABULOUS! You have become the Blog Expert Extraordinaire. I love the interview format, and I'm sorry that Everett had a glum face today. He'll be back on top of his game soon enough. What a special experience to have your dad as coach. I hope I get to see him play soon. LOVE YOU!

Meredith said...

And Mr. Baseball, I have to say that Uncle Sam says that .300 is a decent batting average and I don't know how you hit against the machine but its a machine and you're not. And you weren't used to it. It was different than you expected. So, enjoy your time and always know that you did your best!

Nikki said...

Love your new template. Can't wait for games to start!

Betsy Baugh said...

He's so cute. We want to come and watch him play. Hope everyone is feeling better.