Saturday, March 7, 2009

A First Time For Everything

Go Grayson!


Nikki recently signed us up to play on the woman's basketball team for our ward. In the spirit of good sportsmanship, I reluctantly agreed. I have never played basketball. Even in my youth, I never played. Church ball has always been a spectator sport for me.

Until today.

I woke up this morning with butterflies in my stomach, but I was determined to give it my best shot. I set three goals for myself:

Not to scream when I got the ball.

To make sure I ran in the right direction.

And not to get knocked over.

I am happy to report that I succeeded at all three, in spite of our fierce competition. I did not realize just how intense church ball is.

When I first got on the court, I started laughing. I know it was a nervous reaction, but it just stuck me funny that I had absolutely no idea of what I was doing. I eventually found my pace and was able to keep up. I even had the opportunity to run the court and attempt to make two baskets. Sadly, I missed both times. My accomplishment for the game was my successful pass. We played two different teams and lost both games. Actually, we were slaughtered. I don't even know the final scores.

Now, I can officially say that I have played church ball.



P.S. Nikki is a great ball player.

4 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

What a beautiful basketball player you are! I wish I could have seen you on the court laughing . . . I would have been, too. You two are so fun!

Meredith said...

Oh, I was waiting and wondering what you had gotten yourself into and couldn't wait to read it! Church ball, huh? You are brave!! I am so proud of you and I LOVED your goal setting and meeting your goals. Is this going to be a weekly event? Can't wait - you should get someone to interview Mrs. Basketball!

Rachel said...

Im sooo proud of you Jeannie!!

nicole said...

I wish I had at least met your three goals. Intead you may recall that I squealed like a school girl several times when someone passed me the ball. How embarrassing :) You did great!