Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thirteen

Photo courtesy of Kayleigh.


Dear Kayleigh,

Last night I laid in bed thinking about you. A smile came to my heart as I thought about you dancing around the living room as you shared with us the details of your evening. Did you know that you have the most delightful bounce to your step?

You do.

You were almost three years old when I noticed it for the first time. We were playing outside in the grass. I laid a blanket down for us to sit on. You decided that you wanted to pick dandelions. Your beautiful red curls bounced as you pranced from one flower to the next.

I was struck with emotion as I watched you.

It was a priceless moment, and I offered a prayer asking Heavenly Father that I would never forget the image of your curls bouncing in the warm sun.

My prayer was answered.

Ten years have passed, and I still see you with dandelions in your small hands. You were wearing a lime t-shirt with yellow and lime plaid shorts.

Today is your thirteenth birthday.

Thank you for being a delightful daughter. You are a tremendous help to me. Thank you for always scratching my back. How many IOU's am I in debt for? I am grateful that you like to eat chocolate chip cookies and brownies for dinner. I love your crooked pony tail. It makes me happy that you are always singing. Remember that you will not get in trouble for expressing your opinion. You have the coolest handwriting. I am impressed that you ran a mile in just over eight minutes. It secretly pleases me that you look like your Daddy. You are so much like him.

Promise me that you will never lose your bounce.

Happy Birthday my little teenager.

I love you,

Mom

3 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Happy Birthday, Sweet and Wonderful and Beautiful Kayleigh! It is hard to believe that Kayleigh Bug is now 13. She is a delight to know and be around. We love her so much. We are so proud of the person that she is. Love you, Kayleigh. (I am still sooooooooo impressed by that mile time.) And that is a BEAUTIFUL picture of the birthday girl!

Nikki said...

This is the sweetest post ever! Kayleigh certainly is one delightful girl! Can't wait for the par-tay tonight! PS Kayleigh's pretty lucky to have you as a mom. ;) ♥

Meredith said...

Sweetest post about our favorite Kayleigh! Happy big 13th birthday! I love the bounce in her step and how she is so kind to everyone - just like her daddy. You are one lucky mama!