Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Chicken Was a Hit

The Coach signed the game ball for Mr. Baseball.


It's amazing how much my cooking has in common with the game of baseball. I am up against a pretty tough crowd. There are nights when I will hit a home run and there are others when I know I've struck out.

Then there are the slumps. No matter how hard I try, nothing tastes good to any of us. We usually go about a week eating ham and cheese sandwiches, hot dogs, and waffles. I am famous for making brownies for dinner when I am in a slump.

This gets old really fast.

There's something about the arrival of Autumn that inspires me to cook. For tonight's dinner, I wanted to try something different. I took a risk and concocted a chicken dish.

What's for dinner tonight? Kayleigh and Everett both asked.

I had to quickly come up with an appealing name.

"Cheesy Ranch Chicken." I said as I pulled it out of the oven.

"Smells good." Kayleigh complimented me.

We also had mashed new potatoes, fresh green beans with garlic, and homemade blueberry muffins. Just so you know how picky my crowd is, Everett does not like green beans, and Kayleigh does not like mashed potatoes. Everett loves the blueberry muffins, and Kayleigh barely tolerates them.

And then there's Cozette who eats nothing.

The Coach did not have time to eat dinner with us before the baseball game.

After we said a prayer, I intently studied their expressions.

Kayleigh took a bite.

"Mmmm... Mom, this is really good. You should submit it to Southern Living."

"Thank you Kayleigh. It's not that good." I assured her.

Everett was busy eating his food. I asked him to please eat all of his dinner, so he would have a good game.

He finally spoke.

"This chicken is so good that I am going to hit a home run tonight!

I just about fainted.


Guess what?

Everett hit a home run.

And he received the game ball too!

It looks like we're all back in the game.

3 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Can you hear me chuckling across the state? I am so impressed that you can concoct dishes. I didn't get that gene. Now, did Cozette take a bite? (Everett looks awfully cute in that picture!)

Meredith said...

The Best!!! Post your recipe!! Then maybe I will hit a home run at something after eating it!

Meghan, Carson and the Kiddos said...

First how could Kayleigh not like mashed potatoes???? That makes my head hurt...only becuase I just about live on them. Anyway, congrats! We need the recipe! I love it when I make something up and it actually works!