Friday, September 25, 2009

Lost and Found



Childhood friendships leave an indelible impression upon our hearts. It is because of this truth that I opened a Facebook account. Many friends from elementary school, high school, and college have made their way back into my life through this simple media outlet. However, the one person I wanted to find the most is not on Facebook. Even with my best efforts of searching for her through mutual friends, I have not been able to find her.

Until now.

Missy Barry was my best friend when I was in the second grade. We remained best friends until my family moved across town during the middle of my 5th grade year. Missy and I called each other and visited when we could, but we eventually lost contact a year later.

I have never forgotten Missy. Our days were spent riding bikes, building elaborate forts in the woods, playing Barbies by the creek, rolling like logs down the hills, and spending afternoons on the carport of our elderly friend, Mr. Ivy, who always greeted us with a warm smile and a medley of fruits and vegetables that he gladly shared. We also enjoyed going to Girl Scouts. I always laugh when I think of the silly skits we did with our dads.

The neighborhood was our world, and we explored every inch of it.

Those days with Missy are the fondest from my childhood.

After we moved, The Rios family lived across the street from us. Their daughter Amanda became a life long friend of my sister Quincy. Amanda has always been special to our family.

About a month ago, I started thinking about Amanda and felt compelled to find her.

It was easy to find her on Facebook

This is where the story gets really good.

Amanda recently posted a status that caught my attention. As I noticed the names of other friends of hers who responded, I was stunned to the see the name of another childhood friend of mine from the fourth grade and I wondered how she and Amanda knew each other. I mentioned in my response to Amanda that I believed I knew this person.

Within minutes, I received a response from Tasha asking, "Jeannie, is it you?"

Amanda and Tasha became friends through their children playing team sports.

It is indeed a very small world.

Tasha and I became Facebook friends, and I discovered a group she belonged to called "The Wedgewood Group."

This is my old neighborhood.

As I read the names of childhood friends that I have not seen in almost 30 years, I practically lost my breath as I read the name of Missy's older brother.

I emailed him that very second.

Missy and I found each other the next day.

We met for lunch yesterday. It's hard to describe the emotions I felt as I visited with my dear friend. We laughed as we reminisced about those wonderfully innocent days.

Missy reminded me of the time I made a special concoction from all of the herbs and spices in our kitchen cabinet. I promised her that her feet would not grow any larger if she drank my special potion. I don't remember that episode, but somehow that sounds like something I would have done!

After talking non-stop for a solid hour and a half, we realized that we did not have time to eat lunch. We both agreed that we needed more time. We look forward to our next visit.

A lump came to my throat as we said good-bye.

This I know to be true.

There's an inextricable bond that ties childhood friends together.

Kindred friends are never really lost.

We just have to take the time to find them.


2 comments:

Meredith said...

What a fantastic story, Jeannie!! I loved reading every word and I could just see you sitting at your new desk (or is it still the floor?), knowing what you look like when you catch your breath and are surprised - it is quite precious! What an amazing reunion - quite a tender mercy, indeed!

Quincy Sorensen said...

This is very fun for me to read as your sister . . . to realize that we share so much and yet, there is much that we do not share. Because of our 8-year-difference, we did not share childhoods, and I read about yours and learn new things. I have often heard you speak of Missy, and now I am glad to know what she looks like and how much you both still love one another! This is yet again a wonderful story.