Friday, September 4, 2009

It Never Hurts to Ask


Everett is avoiding eye contact with me,
because I just asked to see his Friday folder.


My Mom can take the credit for teaching me two invaluable lessons:

1. Never leave home without your lipstick.
2. Always speak up because it never hurts to ask.


Whenever I forget to wear lipstick, regret is immediate, because I inevitably run into someone from my past. This week, I had another experience where my Mom's words echoed in my ears. Everett has hoped to be on the Student Council ever since Kayleigh was on it her 5th grade year. The children do not vote at his school. Instead, each child completes an application that requires thoughtful answers. A school counselor chooses the best two from each homeroom.

Everett brought his application home earlier this week. I barely scanned the form and noticed the date September 4th on it. I did not have my glasses on and assumed that September 4th was the date the application was due.

I was terribly wrong.

Everett put his application away, so he could go play with his friends. He promised he would fill the application out later that evening.

Unfortunately, we both forgot about the application.

The next evening, I remembered that we had not completed it.

"Everett, shouldn't we work on your application? I asked him.

He was quiet.

"It was due today." He slumped his shoulders as he answered me.

"Oh Everett, I thought it was due Friday!" I was so sad for him.

"No, it was due today. I forgot to do it." He mumbled.

Everett and I had a discussion about making choices. This was a hard lesson for him to learn. After he got ready for bed, he came in to my room with tears in his eyes.

"I am so sorry, Mom." He apologized.

"Everett, I am sorry for you. Instead of getting a chance to apply for student council, you chose to play with your friends for the afternoon." I sincerely responded.

"I know." He sadly agreed.

The thought that he should apply anyway hit me like a bolt of lightning.

"Everett, I seriously doubt they will consider your application because it is late. However, let's complete it anyway. I will send a note to your teacher explaining what happened."

He ran out of my bedroom like speed racer to get the application downstairs. To make matters even worse, Cozette had scribbled in blue crayon on part of it.

Everett's answers were well thought out. I was very pleased with him.

"Don't forget to write the note!" He said as he kissed me good night.

"I won't!" I promised.

The next day he was jubilant as he told me that his teacher said she would accept the application. To be perfectly honest, I was shocked.

Today was the big day he would find out who was chosen. When I heard his school bus coming down our street, I bolted for the door. He got off the bus all calm and collect. He casually walked up the sidewalk as I stood there waiting for him.

He could barely suppress his smile.

"Guess who's on Student Council?"

"Can you believe it? I answered him.

Everett and I both went inside to bask in our excitement.

"Um, excuse me sir, but do you have anything you would like to say to your Mama?"

Everett put his hands in his pockets and looked down. "Yes, thanks, Mom!"

"You're welcome. Mommom always taught me to speak up--that it never hurts to ask. It seems that you are being taught a lot this year about the importance of having faith." I continued.

At this point Everett was sitting at the kitchen table. I proceeded to ask him about his Friday folder, so I could review his grades for the week.

He laughed as he answered, "Maybe, we could wait a day or two on that one..."



p.s. I spent most of my day at Emory. I am grateful for the good news that my eye is slowly healing. The contact seemed to improve it. I go back in three weeks. Dr. Beck seems to be very hopeful.

For that matter, I am, too!

5 comments:

Betsy Baugh said...

Everett is such a good kid. I'm so happy for him. Glad your appointment went well. We enjoyed Cozette. She's a sweetheart. It's funny to watch her and Emma Grace play. So cute.

Rachel said...

jeannie... you always have the best stories to share! i love it! and im glad that your eye is healing. have a good weekend. see you on sunday.

Meghan, Carson and the Kiddos said...

Congrats ot Everett! My mom used to always tell me that same piece of advice. It as helped me a lot in life. So glad that your eye is healing as well!

Quincy Sorensen said...

I love Everett's coy expression, and I am so proud of him for so many reasons. He couldn't be a better cousin; he is almost like a big brother. I am so glad that he is being recognized for his abilities and has a chance to try something new!

Meredith said...

Everett is so sly and coy, just like Quincy said. So proud of that Bobby of ours! Great news on your eye!!! I am so thrilled for you.