Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It Ain't Over... 'Til It's Over




This is a story with a happy ending; however, it could have been a story with a good ending. Our family was prepared either way.

We have never pursued All-Stars or travel ball with Everett because some of the games are played on Sunday. This year Everett excelled in baseball, and we knew that he had a real chance at making the All-Star baseball team. Brad spoke with the coaches about games and what days they are played. The coach let us know that it was possible that one game would be played on Sunday.

Brad decided to plead our case. The coach was sympathetic.

We made the decision to let Everett try out. Try outs were scheduled for last Saturday. We have had a rainy spring in Georgia, and sadly try outs were cancelled due to the rain. We were devastated when we received the email stating that try outs were rescheduled for Sunday afternoon at 3:30.

Everett's heart was broken. He knew that he would not be able to try out for the team. I sat by him on our sofa, and we had a discussion about being a disciple of Jesus Christ. We both came to the conclusion that sometimes obeying the commandments is not easy.

I told him not to lose faith.

So, we prayed for it to rain the next day and promised Heavenly Father that we were willing to accept the outcome of it not raining.

Around 1:00 pm on Sunday, it was not raining. Everett's disappointment was visible, and my heart ached for him.

Then, suddenly it started to rain.

It was a down pour.

Brad and Everett anxiously awaited to receive word about the try outs being cancelled. Finally at 3:15, they received a phone call telling them to be at the field Tuesday night at 5:30.

We did a party dance and offered a prayer of gratitude and thanks.

Everett had a fantastic try out last night. He came home ecstatic. He was beaming with joy as he told me that one of the coaches told him to expect a phone call later that night for an invitation to play on the team.

Everett waited all night.

We received a phone call around 10:45. We were not prepared for the conversation that was about to happen.

Brad started speaking with the coach and then became silent. I could tell that Brad was not happy. I heard Brad restating our position about playing ball on Sunday. He told the coach he would need to discuss this with his wife and would call him back.

At this point, Everett, Kayleigh. and I were hovering around Brad waiting for the news.

Brad sadly informed us that the coach extended an invitation to Everett to play, but Everett would not be excused from playing on Sunday. (It was only one game).

I almost fainted.

Everett started sobbing.

I had to excuse myself and go upstairs, I was so upset. I went to the bathroom to get a tissue, and then felt prompted to go downstairs and speak with Everett.

"Everett, you are wasting your energy crying over this. Have you lost your faith? Let's say a prayer that their hearts will be softened."

So, we prayed.

Again.

Brad called the coach back.

"Coach, we understand your position when it comes to games on Sunday. We hope you will understand ours. We are sorry to have to make this choice, but Everett will not be able to play this year." Brad expressed with regret.

The coach then shared with Brad that Everett had one of the best try outs at the park and it would be a real loss for the team if he could not participate.

"Let me speak with the baseball director about this. I will call you tomorrow" The coach offered to Brad.

When Brad got off the phone, we were exhausted from the drama. We assured Everett that no matter what the outcome was, we were pleased with him for making the team. Everett handled all of this amazingly well.

Within five minutes, the phone rang. We all jumped to our feet.

Brad started pacing when he answered the phone. We all sat in complete silence as we watched Brad listen to the coach.

"You're a good man, coach. Thank you." Brad said with a smile as he hung up the phone.

Brad then gave us a full report of the coach's words:

"I am not going to punish any young man man for making the decision not to play ball on Sunday. I'm a christian, and I go to church every Sunday. I'm going to start praying to the Lord that we will not have any games on Sunday. But, if we do, you just call me that morning and say,'Coach, Everett will not be able to play today, and I will take care of the rest.' I am happy to have Everett on the team."

The coach then asked to speak with Everett.

It is hard to express the relief and jubilation that came over our family. I looked at Everett and jokingly asked him, "Are you ever going to doubt your old Mama again?"

"No, Ma'am!" he promised.

We were prepared for Everett not to play on the All-Star team this season. Brad and I discussed with him, that even if he didn't get to play on the team, the ending to all of this would have been good--because Everett made a very difficult choice of putting the Lord first.

We have all learned more about the importance of speaking up for what we know to be true and to be unwavering in our convictions. Everett has learned an invaluable lesson that he will draw from for the rest of his life.

Even if that meant not getting to play on the All-Star team.

But, I sure am glad he gets to.

And I don't even mind having to endure another month of baseball in the hot sun!


13 comments:

Meghan, Carson and the Kiddos said...

Jeanie, What a great story! Everett must be an amazing young man to be able to make such a mature decision and to stick with it! You guys have raised him so well. I don't know him and unfortunately, I don't know you well either, but I've hear amazing stories from Meredith and I have to say that you and your family are a great example! Congrats Everett!

Mary-Faith said...

I'm so happy everything woprked out so well!

Meredith said...

Amazing story!!! I am going to link your blog on mine - if anyone doubts the power of prayer and sticking up for what is right, then they need to read this!!!! I am so proud of Everett - you have all taught him so well.

Quincy Sorensen said...

I'm glad you chronicled this, Sister. You can't go wrong when you stand by your convictions. I can't wait for Zoe and Kaija to read this. I love you (and Everett!)!

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

What a wonderful story, Jeannie! Thanks for sharing. I will read this with my Emily. This was so inspiring and will be good for her to hear as we have to forego things from time to time because of Sunday and travel teams is not even an option for my girl who loves to play ball. What a valiant son you have!

~j. said...

This is a great story. Thank you for sharing it.

Heidi said...

Jeanie,
This is a wonderful story, and one that Everett will build a testimony of the Sabbath day upon!

We have had so many similar experiences with Mitchell in baseball and all-stars. He has given up the chance to play travel ball because it required Sunday play. One day, Mitchell just began to realize that he was happy playing "rec" ball and that he would be blessed for his decisions. Last season, the only spot for him on "All-stars" was the
alternate because of our feelings about Sunday playing. My little boy worked his heart out as the alternate for 6 days of the week. He got to play in one tournament and received all the fun gear and uniforms, but it wasn't the same.
This year a coach e-mailed me and BEGGED me to let Mitchell play travel. (We didn't attend the Sunday tryout and they still wanted him without the tryout) I explained our Sunday position and he got really angry and said to me "No boy I coach will EVER be excused from Sundays no matter HOW GOOD THEY ARE!" My reply? Then you are not the coach for my son!
Good Luck in All-Stars!!!! More importantly....he kept his integrity and that will take him much farther in life!

The Kipper Family said...

I am very impressed with the faith of your family and most importantly Everett. What a great example to follow. Congratulations Everett!!!

Natalie said...

What a powerful example of being blessed when we follow and obey what we know to be right. I love this story and I am so glad you have shared it. And I am so glad Everett can play ball a little longer, what a great example he is!

Anonymous said...

I think that praying is really smart.
the story was great! I think I should
start doing that!

Zoe

Kayleigh said...

We are very proud of Johnny! LOL :)

Likely said...

WONDERFUL!!!! Way to go Everett! I don't know you but I am REALLLLLY proud of you, not only for making the team but for your strong example of faith.

You are a hero!!!!