Saturday, May 9, 2009

Motherhood



Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children.
~Sam Levenson


Why do I love being a mother?

Kayleigh and I went to Publix today to purchase a few groceries. While in the bakery, getting a cookie for Cozette, Kayleigh spied a huge chocolate chip double doozie cookie. It was filled with fluffy white icing and it looked absolutely beautifully delicious.

"Hey, Mom, why don't you buy this for your Mother's Day gift from me? " Kayleigh tempted me.

"OH! I get to buy my own gift, and I don't have to share? I teased her.

I could see how much Kayleigh wanted the cookie, so I bought it. We waited until we got back to the van to eat our delicious treat.

I took half and gave Kayleigh half. We devoured the cookie together. When we were done eating, I looked at her and said , "That was the best treat I have eaten in 10 years."

Kayleigh contemplated this and then questioned me, "Did you like it better than our favorite killer brownies?"

"Oh, yes! I thought it was much better."

"How about you?" I asked her.

"I like the killer brownies much better." She assured me.

We then laughed as we drove home discussing the events of her day.

It is the simple moments of pleasure I have with my children that bring me the most joy. Last week, while driving to church, Everett promised me that when he grows up, he's going to have a guest bedroom just for me in his house. Kayleigh and Everett then started a competitive conversation about who was going to have the biggest room with the biggest bed for me.

Everett became absolute and declared, "Well, I am going to give Mommy a million dollars."

Kayleigh would have no part of that. She had to out-do him. "Well, I am going to give Mom a billion dollars."

It's moments like this that make all of the hard work worth while. Being a Mom is not easy. I am usually exhausted at the end of each day. From the moment I wake up, my entire being is centered around my children.

Are they safe?

Are they happy?

Do they have good friends?

Are they making good choices?

Are their hearts broken?

Are they doing well in school?

Are they hearing stuff that I don't want them to know yet?

Will they be in good moods when they arrive home from school?


And then there's Cozette...

Please don't eat my mascara.

Darling, please don't hit.

Don't run from Mommy.

Don't drop your banana on the floor on purpose.

She actually threw-up a screw the other day! That's a big mystery to me.

Take a nap!

The list is endless.

What I know for certainty is that I would not have any hopes or dreams were it not for my children. I love being a mother. I love being a wife to Brad.

It is with these special people, I have found fulfillment and true happiness.

Even if I am tired at the end of the day!




Why do I love being a daughter?

I think that Lucy expresses it best. In a Mother' Day card, I found years ago, the following dialogue is exchanged between Charlie Brown and Lucy:

Lucy: Everyone needs someone to love them, to take care of them, and to watch over them.

Charlie Brown: Ponders her statement and responds, "Wow, that's a lot of people!"

Lucy: Or just one good mother!

Thank you, Mom, for being one good mother.

I am grateful that I am a daughter who has a mother to love.




Why do I love my Mother-in-law?

There are not many women who can say that while dating their husbands, they double-dated with their future in-laws on a regular basis. It did not take me long to fall in love with Shirley. From the moment we first met, she has treated me as her daughter. I am thankful for her loving example and gentle ways. I enjoy our conversations; you can always give me your opinion!

And I really do love your pecan fudge!


"Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels."

~Elder Russell M. Nelson


5 comments:

Betsy Baugh said...

loved this post. I love being a mom, too. I look up to you so much. You are always very calm. I feel like I'm running crazy 99% of the time. Thanks for being my friend.

Quincy Sorensen said...

You are a wonderful mother, daughter, daughter-in-law, and . . . sister! :) Are you laughing that Betsy said you are always calm? :) That is a great compliment!

jeannie said...

No, I am not laughing! I take my compliments very seriously! I hope that you are not laughing because you don't think I am calm! Betsy's compliment made me so happy that I told Brad what she said. Sadly, he started laughing!

Meredith said...

So sweet and lovely - you are one of the moms I admire most. A few thoughts - threw up a screw? Did she throw up my phone charger too? I bet the brownies are better, like Kayleigh said. And I would give you a bunch of money too...if I had it.

Love you lady! A shout out to you is on my blog!

Natalie said...

Hi Jeannie,
I am so excited that you found my blog. It will be so fun to hear more about your cute family. I have loved reading your thoughts on Motherhood. Your kids are so blessed to have such a fantastic mother. I adore the mother Quincy is and as a matter of fact, I think ALL of the women in the Parrott family are amazing. Are you coming for a visit? I will look forward to seeing you again soon. Love, Natalie