Thursday, May 7, 2009

Like Father, Like Son

A view of the lake at Ft. Yargo.
Brad took this picture in the fall of 2006.


Every Spring Brad and Everett look forward to the annual Grayson Ward Father-Son Camp Out. They have been attending this fine event for the past five years. Ft. Yargo was the site for this year's trip. Ft. Yargo was built in 1792 to protect the settlers from the Creek Indians. It is also a favorite camping spot for our family. Brad and Papa have been taking Kayleigh and Everett there for years.

Since I am not invited to attend, I can only share my observations of the excitement that precedes this event.

Well, I can do a little interviewing, too.

The preparations start days in advance. This year's camping trip was different for Brad and Everett. They went up to the campground to set up camp, and then had to leave for an 8 o'clock baseball game. I am happy to report they won. Everett was smokin' hot... again!

Kayleigh and I usually have our own date night when the boys leave us, but this year, I lost her to her friends. After Everett's baseball game, Cozette and I came home to an empty house. It was a rainy night in Georgia, and I was a little frightened being by myself.

About 11 o'clock is when I started receiving all of the phone calls. It was pouring down rain at Ft. Yargo. Brad was calling to check on me, but I was more concerned about their well-being. I am not sure how this happened, but I received about three phone calls from men in our ward by accident, my Dad being one of them.

My favorite phone call of the evening came from Miss. Social Butterfly. At about 11:30 pm, in the middle of a huge storm, she decided to get a case of the "guilts" for skipping out on her poor Mom. After getting assurance that everything was OK with her, I promised her that I was just fine and dandy. I did not want to have to load up a sleeping baby in the middle of a thunderstorm to go and get her!

Kayleigh happily agreed to stay with her friends.

And I finally fell asleep around 2 am.

I usually brace myself for their return home. They reek of campfire smoke, Everett is covered in mud, and I am suddenly overwhelmed with all of the laundry. This year was especially fun because everything was wet.

Brad and Everett gave me a full report:

Everett: It was awesome. My favorite thing this year was playing zombie freeze-tag.

Me: What is zombie freeze tag?

Everett: It's when you have a person who is "it." Everyone else hides. If you are caught, then you are "it," too. Guess what?

Me: What?

Everett: I was never "it."

Me: I'm not surprised. You're so tricky.

Everett: Yeah, I hid so well, that a lot of time passed. I came out of my hiding place and saw everyone around the camp fire eating breakfast! Then I went up to everyone and said, "Hey, what's going on?" They said they couldn't find me. Then I ate, too.

Me: Good. I was worried that you would not have a campfire to play around because of the rain.

Everett: That would have been SO sad. The campfire is my favorite, too.

Brad: Let me tell you my favorite part. It was when I was trying to fall asleep. When I would finally get comfortable, I would feel a drip, drip, drip on my forehead. Then I tried to re-position myself. Then, drip, drip, drip. on my cheek. Then it happened on my chest. So, I gave up and fell asleep with rain dripping on me.

Me: That sounds like lots of fun!

Brad and Everett were full of details about the fun they had with each other, with Papa, and all of their good friends.

It's another camping trip down.

And many more to come!




P.S. In case you're wondering, I forgot to send the camera!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh, glad they had a great time. There are times when we do ward camp outs and fires aren't allowed. I hope we can have fires at girls camp in June. And wet camping gear? Yuck! Everett is tricky!!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Wow! Ft. Yargo is BEAUTIFUL. That is a special tradition. I do like camping . . . BUT NOT IN THE RAIN! Somehow, I suspect, the rain made it more fun for Mr. Baseball (but not his dad!).