Monday, May 25, 2009

I Love a Parade

Reenactment of soldiers raising the flag at Iwo Jima.

This year marks the 10th anniversary
of our family attending the Dacula, Georgia Memorial Day Parade. As I watched my children today, I found myself reflecting on our first trip to the parade. Everett was an infant and Kayleigh was a toddler. I recalled wiping Kayleigh's tears and calming her fears of the loud sirens coming down the little street. Brad carried Everett in an infant carrier. He tried to collect candy for Kayleigh. We were with Bill and Shirley, who had moved to Georgia months earlier. I remembered feeling an overwhelming sense of patriotism as I cheered for our veterans.

Has it really been 10 years?

Today, we had Nikki with us. Everett entertained us by sucking helium from the balloons and singing, "Elmo's World" to Cozette. It was quite comical. This is Cozette's second year attending the parade. She loves the loud sounds and danced to the beat of the drums. Kayleigh and Everett scrambled to get all the candy they could, and Cozette tried to eat it all. Each year I attend the parade, I feel more grateful for the sacrifices of those who have laid down their lives, so I can enjoy the blessings of freedom.

On the way home, we discussed our favorite parts of the parade. We all agreed that we loved watching the veterans, the vast military equipment, horses, marching band, the display of John Deere tractors, and cars from the 1930's. This year the Dacula Jump Club participated, and we really enjoyed watching a little girl hopping down the street on her pogo stick while jumping rope at the same time. Kayleigh expressed she loved seeing Little Miss Special Dacula. I had noticed their float too, and it made me happy that Kayleigh was sensitive to this.

We always follow our trip to the parade with a family cook out. Brad is the king "hamburger cooker." Mommom and Papa said if they searched the whole world over, they could not find a better hamburger.

I would have to agree!

After dinner, Mommom read to us facts about Memorial Day and Arlington National Cemetery. We discussed the inscription on the tomb of the unknown solider:

Here rests in honored glory
an American Soldier
known but to God.

Kayleigh and Everett loved having a game about what they learned. I was impressed that they remembered everything. I think Everett won, but only because he was the loudest.




Little Miss Cozette also loves a parade!


Taking a nice little snooze with Cozette was a great way to end a perfect day!

2 comments:

Mary-Faith said...

Glad you had fun!

Meredith said...

What a fantastic tradition. I am so impressed with anyone who celebrates the holiday remembering the real reason for a day off. We remembered it in our dinner prayer over the gourmet grilled pesto and provolone burgers! Great pictures.