Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It's Just the Little Things



Nikki wrote a clever comment on my facebook status today. I posted that using coupons was making me want to turn some cartwheels. My sister knows me all too well. She wrote she wasn't sure what she would rather see more... me using a coupon or doing a cartwheel! I had a serendipitous encounter yesterday, and I was so excited that I sincerely wanted to turn a cartwheel!

Using coupons is something that I have been reluctant to do. It takes so much energy, effort, and time. Who wants to drive all over town going to different grocery stores?

I'm starting to realize that I do.

My sister, Quincy, has spent her valuable time teaching me how to strategize using coupons with store sales. She has saved a significant amount of money using coupons this way. We had a conversation over the weekend about how she has been blessed with her efforts. She expressed that I would be blessed, too, as I made this a priority.


Keebler Cashew Shortbread cookies are my favorite packaged cookie. One of our local grocery stores is having a buy one get one free special on all Keebler cookies this week. As I was running errands yesterday, I debated back in forth in my mind if it was worth stopping with Cozette. She was getting tired, and we had already been running errands for a while.

Boy, it was worth the trip!

As I was standing in the cookie aisle with Cozette, who was eagerly trying to get out of the buggy, I could not tell if the Cashew Shortbread Cookies were on sale. So, I picked up four packages of cookies to take to the cashier. I was going to buy the other two packages of cookies if the shortbread cookies were not included in the sale.

Then suddenly out of no where, this man, (I believe he was the Keebler Man) approached me and said, "I noticed you are buying four packages of cookies."

"Well, I am not sure if the Cashew Shortbread are on sale." I responded.

"They're on sale. Here. I have some special coupons that I can give you. Here is a coupon for an additional $2.00 off this set of cookies and here's a coupon for an additional $2.00 off of this set of cookies."

"Oh, my goodness. Thank you so much." I was absolutely flabbergasted.

"You're welcome."

When I got home, I realized that I had purchased four packages of Keebler cookies (which would normally have cost a little over $13.00) for less than $3.oo.

Seriously.

What are the chances of me running into the Keebler Man? I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

This is a little thing and it may seem insignificant to others. Little things add up though. I am now inspired to be a better steward over my finances. No effort is too small.

And it's the little things that mean the most.

Nikki, you come on over tomorrow, and I'll do that cartwheel for you!


4 comments:

Nikki said...

As always, this was a most delightful post to read. Indeed, it's the little things that mean the most. The highlight of my day today will be seeing you do a cartwheel. I'll stop by around 4:30. ;)

Quincy Sorensen said...

I am laughing my head off. The Keebler man image is making my day!

Anonymous said...

I will do a cartwheel for you Jeannie if you teach me your secrets.

Meredith said...

I love the Keebler shortbread cookies. That is a great deal...and so much fun to score a deal.