Monday, March 15, 2010

Compass

Portrait of Elijah
March 15, 2007- June 30, 2007

Dear Elijah,

The days that followed your funeral are blurry to me, yet there are moments in my mind that are so vivid, it seems like it was yesterday. One such memory was when your Mama, Aunt Nikki, and I were in the bathroom talking to Mommom as she was getting dressed. Your Mama was sharing some of her insights with us. We were talking about our testimonies. As we continued talking, Mommom very solemnly declared that she would never bear her testimony again, and the thought of doing so made her want to go get an axe and chop down the pulpit.

I remember looking at my sisters and the three of us practically fell to the floor in hysterics. We laughed and laughed. The thought of Mommom doing something like that was more than we could possibly visualize. Her comment symbolized the depth of our pain, and our laughter was in direct proportion to our grief. Mommom's steadfast testimony has always been a compass for us.

Two months later, she stood at the pulpit and bore the strongest testimony of enduring trials, the importance of faith, and the beauty of the atonement, I have ever heard.

And so dearest Elijah, on this special day of your birth, I find myself reflecting on the lonely road I have traveled with out you. Your little life, as short as it was, and your passing has been a compass for me. There have been times, I believed I did not have the faith to continue on this road; but your loving memory and a bright hope in Christ guides me. Your mother's example has taught me the importance of not only enduring, but enduring this road well.

I wonder sometimes, if you can hear us praying. Kayleigh and Everett faithfully express their love and gratitude for you. We have not forgotten you.

We travel a hard road, but it is not without the compass of our testimonies, and a sure knowledge of knowing that you're at the end-- waiting for us to arrive home.


Happy Birthday darling Elijah.

Love,