Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pressing Forward



This has been the coldest and wettest winter I can ever remember. The weather has been a huge obstacle in my training to run a 5k. There have been days at a time that I have not been able to run. When the sun does come out, it has been freezing and windy, and then when the weather warms a little, it's raining outside.

There have been other obstacles, too. I recently discovered that I have unknowingly been taking a short cut on the trail equal to the distance of a quarter of a mile that I have not been running. So, all of my documented times have been based on running two and three quarters miles and not the full three like I had thought.

This was a major set back for me.

The realization caused me to stay home for a day, to do nothing but mope. For years now, I have been running and walking a trail the wrong way. I truly considered quitting. Running has never been easy for me. The thought of having to take one more step is overwhelming and the thought of running an additional quarter of a mile seems impossible to achieve.

But, I haven't quit.

I go to the park as much as the weather permits. I still have not accomplished running the entire trail without taking breaks. It seems like I am always starting over with my training. I will accomplishment a goal and then have to wait days before I can go out again. On Friday, I was pleased with my time since I had not been out in a while, I beat it on Saturday, and then had a major set back on Monday morning because of cramping in my leg. I wanted to cry. I believe that attempting to run three miles is the most challenging goal I have ever attempted.

I still am not convinced that I will achieve this goal in time for my races next month.

On Monday evening, we had the missionaries over for dinner. It is a tradition in our family to have them over once a month on Monday evening to share Family Home Evening with us. I always look forward to the messages the Elders share with my children. When we sat down to have our lesson, they asked if they could share a scripture with us. I love this scripture and have read it many times.

2 Nephi 31:20:

"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of Gad and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."

After a disappointing day, this scripture struck me in a way it never had before. For the rest of the evening, I pondered the importance of pressing forward in all aspects of my life. I have endured many obstacles and have always pressed forward with faith.

Running is not any different.

I need to press forward.

Have faith in Christ.

And He will take care of the rest.

On Tuesday morning, I had a personal victory. I ran my two and thee quarters miles in 30 minutes and 54 seconds. I no longer concern myself with the distance. I run the trail like I always have knowing that as I press forward, I will eventually reach my goal.


I will simply press forward.


4 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Sister, I have NO DOUBT that you are going to accomplish your goal AND do it well. You've already done the hardest work already. Think of President Kimball's mottos: "Do it" and "Lengthen Your Stride." I have to say there is something spiritual about running and preparation. I am truly proud of you for attempting something so big! xoxoxo

Meredith said...

I too am a proud sister(in law)!! I know this has been hard for you but I love hearing your reports as you try try try. Every time you run the trail it is victory, whether a run/walk or a mostly run or whatever, you are building endurance. There will be adrenaline as you run with others and are inspired by the causes you are supporting. I have never done any hills other than on a treadmill and I mostly don't do that. I am a flat runner. You will smoke me here!

Nikki said...

Sister, I KNOW you can do it! You've been working so hard. I'll be cheering for you at the finish line on the 24th! ;)

Unknown said...

Oh Jeannie!! I just love your determination! I myself am not a lover of running and so you are just amazing to me ;D I also love that you are pressing forward and doing what you can do--2 and 3/4 miles is the same as 3 miles to me!! You go girl!