Saturday, March 27, 2010

11:11

11 candles on one cupcake.

When Everett was five years old,
he noticed the numbers on the digital clock in our bedroom and asked, "Mommy, what in the world time is one, one, one, one?"

It was a delightful teaching moment.

The next day he noticed the clock at the same time.

"Look, Mommy, it's 11:11," he informed me.

Coincidentally, it happened again the following day.

11:11 has become a very special time for our family. For years, the numbers represented the four of us. We even created the 11:11 dance. Actually, it's more like a chant where we clap and say the time over and over to a silly tune. Whoever notices the time 11:11 first, starts chanting really loud so everyone in the house can hear it. The tradition has been that we stop whatever it is we're doing, to join in the dance. When the clock turns 11:12, we immediately stop the chant and dance to say, "OK, the party is over."

Then we continue on as normal.

I have mentioned to Kayleigh and Everett that when they leave to go to college, they will have to call home at 11:11. Once, I found a pair of pants on sale for Everett and the total amount was $11.11.

He thought that was really cool.

I have been anticipating the day when Everett turns 11 years old. I will wake him up in the morning by doing the 11:11 chant.

Where has the time gone?

Everett is a good boy. Today, he spent time with handicapped children who would like to play baseball. He told me he loved running the bases with them. "I really like spending time with these children." His words are simple, yet it means so much to me knowing that he is able to appreciate his blessings and understand the value of service at a young age.

He brings joy to my heart.

We celebrated his birthday a day early.

Here are some favorite quotes of the evening:

"Oh...the table looks beau-tee-ful, Mommy."
~Cozette

She redecorated the birthday table quite a bit today!


"Blue and brown is en vogue. I see these colors together every where."
~Papa

"These are very stylish cupcakes."
~Nikki


I made homemade pizza tonight.

"This looks like professional pizza."
~Kayleigh

"This pizza is pretty good."
~Brad

(*note: When Brad says something is "pretty good" then I know I've done good!)

"I can't find one fault with this pizza.
It's absolutely delicious."


~Mommom

I told Mommom that I'd have to quote her on that one!

The birthday boy with Mommom and Papa.


Think of us the next time you notice it's 11:11.

We'll be dancing.

Happy Birthday to my 11 year old boy.



5 comments:

Meredith said...

I love Bobby - Happy Birthday to Everett! You pizza looks so yum - I love making pizza but have not done it in a while. Your 11:11 tradition is adorable. I think I have heard you all do this before. And all the family commentary is so cute!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Happy birthday, Everett! These are some of the best pictures I have ever seen of the birthday boy. Yes, I do think Everett is a very special boy--kind, smart, and awfully cute. I hope he has another special day today. Love you, Everett! (And that pizza looks soooooo yummy.)

Eleven (11!) will be the best year yet!

Nikki said...

Happy Birthday, Everett! Sister, you certainly know how to throw a fabulous par-tay. The best quote of the night was definitely Dad's. :)

Betsy Baugh said...

You have such a fun family. We will be dancing with you. Happy Birthday Everett!

grammy said...

mommom and papa are just so cute! also mr everett. will always think of you now at 11:11. xoxo moma rosebud