Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Mormon Night at the Braves



I can't decide which is more exciting: getting our picture taken with Dale Murphy or venturing all the way downtown for an entire evening without taking diapers and wipes for Cozette. I asked Nikki if this meant Cozette is offically potty trained and she said, "Yes!"

I'm teasing. We never dreamed we would be able to get our picture taken with Dale Murphy. We only thought we would be shaking his hand. 

Now, there are three things that I need to mention.

First, Everett said this to Dale Murphy. And I quote word for word: "Brother Murphy, I set a goal to play baseball at BYU!" Dale Murphy graciously looked at him with a big smile and expressed in a very excited voice,"All right!"

Second, Brad is the biggest Red Sox fan. He loves that team with all his heart. Brad told me that he only wanted to know one thing about Dale Murphy. Did Dale Murphy become a Red Sox fan when he was Mission President in Boston. Dale Murphy laughed and answered, "Well, maybe a little, but I'm a Braves fan!" I'm glad Brad had this important question answered.

Third, when I was in the 5th grade Mom and Dad purchased the home that Barry Bonnell lived in as our second home. Barry Bonnell was an Atlanta Braves player at the time and introduced Dale Murphy to the gospel. I recall Dale Murphy having one of his new member discussions in our home. 

I asked Dale Murphy if he remembered this. His face lit up. He said it had been over thirty years since he joined the church, but that he did remember coming to our home. I am not convinced that he really did. I was impressed with his graciousness towards all of the fans. It was so hot and humid. He was sweating terribly, but he took the time to pose for pictures with all of the families.

Everett was very excited to get a baseball card signed by him. Kayleigh is missing from the picture because she was at Six Flags with the Gregerson girls.


I like this picture. While we were waiting in line to be in the family parade before the game, we were able to take pictures of the parking lot where all of the players park.  These are the Atlanta Braves vehicles.


The parade was quite fun. Everett liked being so close to the players. We were strictly told NOT to walk on the grass.

Atlanta Braves pitcher Tim Hudson.


Nikki saved us, because I forgot my camera at home. 

Hooray for iphones!


3 comments:

Susan said...

Go Braves!!!

Meredith said...

OK, I had to go and look at that picture again. He WAS sweating terribly! How kind of him to spend time chatting with you and what a fun memory!! Potty trained? Yea for Mommy, yea for Cozette!

Quincy Sorensen said...

UNBELIEVABLE! I can't believe I haven't talked to you guys about MEETING DALE MURHPY! That is AWESOME! I bet Everett was THRILLED!

And I am SO PROUD of Cozette! Maybe she can teach her cousin a thing or two soon! ;)