Monday, June 22, 2009

Planting a Seed of Faith


It seems that speaking in sacrament meeting on Father's Day is becoming a tradition for me. Yesterday was the third time I have had the opportunity to speak in the last five years. My assigned topic was the responsibility parents have to teach their children to have faith, by setting a Christlike example.

Here is an excerpt from my talk:

I cannot recall a time when I ever doubted that Dad was a man of faith, but I do vividly recall when it was etched upon my heart that he sincerely practiced what he preached.

I was in the 5th grade. Dad and I have a history of playing pranks on each other, so one night I thought I would try to creep downstairs to scare him. Mom was upstairs in their bedroom trying to console my baby sister, Quincy, who was having difficulty falling asleep.

I can still remember inching my way down stairs being extra quiet, so both Mom and Dad would not hear me.

When I successfully reached the bottom of the stairs, I sat down on the bottom step to determine what my next move was going to be.

Now, the floor plan of our home was laid out, so that when I reached the bottom of the stairs, all I had to do is peek my my head around to corner of the wall to see into our family room.

I decided to quietly get a quick peek at Dad. After doing this a few times, I was positive that Dad did not know that I was spying on him. And instead of trying to scare him, I was suddenly struck with the brilliant idea that I could just sit there quietly at the bottom of the stairs and watch TV--and he would never know!

So, I watched TV for a few minutes.

I loved sitting there being a little sneaky watching TV. I do not remember what the television program was, but I do remember all of a sudden a very immodest woman walked into the room and the scene became very inappropriate. I was only 11 years old, but I knew what I saw was wrong.

In a split second, I processed guilt and shame for being there, but most importantly, I was concerned over Dad!

What was he was going to do?

In that instant, before I could avert my eyes back to Dad, he jumped off the sofa to change the television channel. (These were the days before we had the luxury of remote controls)!

I was stunned and amazed. I lingered at the bottom of the stairs for a few more seconds contemplating that Dad did the right thing when he didn't think anyone was watching him.

Then, I quietly walked back up the stairs to go to bed.

I fell asleep that night with peace in my heart; knowing that all was good in the universe because I had a father who simply would not look at an indecent woman.

Seeing Dad jump off the sofa was the epitome of belief plus action, and for my budding testimony, the equivalent of Moses parting the Red Sea. His integrity planted a seed of faith in my heart that would get me through many situations that required me to exercise my faith.


The rest of the story:

I was about 13 or 14 when I finally told Dad about my rendezvous at the bottom of the stairs. He assured me that he never knew of a time when I was trying to spy on him.

After my talk yesterday, Mom said that she could not remember this experience. Dad said that he had forgotten it too, but it came back to him as I retold it. The three of us discussed how in a split second, an unsuspecting father made a choice that made an impact for good upon his impressionable daughter.

We also discussed how it was a miracle that I kept it a secret that I was speaking on Father's Day, and they had no idea! I really was proud of myself for not letting it slip.

This childhood experience has always been close to my heart--I never forgot it!

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Sister, this is a great story, and I'd never heard it before you shared it yesterday. Love you more than a good kept secret. ;)

Quincy Sorensen said...

I remember how in 2007 we both gave Father's Day talks in church. I wish I could have heard you this year. I do love this story, and I recall you sharing it before. I am so proud of you for keeping this a secret! Dad and Mom both shared how much they enjoyed the talk.

Meredith said...

beautiful story - I love your dad and his example...and I love your late night adventuring!

Natalie said...

This is a great story, what a wonderful Dad you have! I would have loved to have heard the rest of your talk as well. This is written so eloquently, that talent
must run in the family. I love that you kept your talk a secret, that is a fun surprise!