Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Would You Like a Tomato?

The Big Reds

We have been anticipating this moment for months. There were many times that I sincerely didn't think my little garden was going to make it. Everett has been asking all week, "When do we get to pick the tomatoes?"

Today was the big day!

I told Everett the time had come. He was so excited. He went outside to pick our little tomatoes. When he was finished, he came bursting into the kitchen proudly announcing, "Introducing: The Big Reds!" I burst into laughter. Everett named the tomatoes, Big Daddy, The Mama, and Little Johnny.

I had "The Mama" on toasted bread for dinner. It was the most delicious tomato sandwich I have ever eaten.

There are nine more tomatoes ripening on the vine.

We also have two cucumbers that Everett will pick tomorrow.

Who would have ever thought I had a green thumb?

4 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

This is THRILLING! I bet your sandwich was yummy.

We LOVED the chicken-salsa roll-ups. A big hit.

Nikki said...

Thanks for letting me have the Big Daddy!!! It was the best tomato I've ever eaten! Do you want me to pick (and eat) your tomatoes while you're on va-cay?! ;)

Meredith said...

We almost have one tomato! We ate a pepper in an omelet this morning. I am afraid my tomatoes will ripen while I am gone...

Natalie said...

Oh my Jeannie, my mouth is watering! These tomatoes look delicious! I am wishing mine would turn but I fear I may move before that great day! Lots of green but no red, any tips???