Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Birthday For All Seasons

A lovely Christmas table setting.


Ever since Brad purchased a trailer for his business, Kayleigh has anticipated going on a hayride at her birthday party. She also said that she wanted to have a fun craft. I wanted to bake a cookie cake and decorate it beautifully for her. I thought it would be nice to have an Autumn themed party since her birthday is in October and we were having a hayride. I wanted to make this the most beautifully fun party for Kayleigh.

It was fun but not beautiful.

I am not sure how it happened, but my table setting looks more like Christmastime. I think it is because I used leaves and berries from my Nandina bush and cranberries in my center piece.

Decorating the cookie cake was a little nightmare. I made some butter cream frosting to ice the cookie cake, but a series of errors prevented me from actually decorating it.

I was in a panic.

All I could do is sprinkle it with little cake decors.

I couldn't wait for my sister to see it.


This is why I do not bake Birthday cakes.


My funny conversation with Nikki:

Jeannie: "Nikki, the cookie cake is so sad."

Nikki: "Why? Can I see it?"

Jeannie: "Not yet, I want to take a picture of your reaction when you look at it."

Nikki: "I bet it looks pretty. It can't look that bad."

Jeannie: "Well, it does look bad."

I then show Nikki the cookie cake. Brad captured Nikki's reaction. We were both laughing hysterically at this point.

Nikki: While laughing says, "It looks good Jeannie."

Jeannie: "Nikki, this looks like something I would take to a Fourth of July picnic."

That strikes us both funny and we are still laughing.

The End.

p.s. The girls said the cookie cake was delicious.

These clipboards are dedicated to Meredith.


My Fourth of July cookie cake was a little nightmare. Preparing to make a craft was a big nightmare but my Arizona sister-in-law saved the day. I must say the clipboards were a big success.


The birthday girl just blew out all 12 candles on her Fourth of July birthday cake.

Kayleigh told me today that her friends had the best time and this was the best party ever.

It was all worth it.

p.s.s. Thanks Nikki for helping me at the party and for thinking of the title for this post.

6 comments:

Meredith said...

I cannot stop laughing!!!! What an amazing post for an amazing party for an amazing birthday girl with one truly uh-mays-ing Mama! It looks like it was so much fun and your table is lovely. I would agree with Nikki - the cookie looks a little 4th of July but cookie cakes are yum-o! And the clipboards are darling - they look so proud of what they accomplished. I am SO GLAD it worked out well and I loved talking to you last night. It was obviously the party event of the season!

The Kipper Family said...

It looks like they had so much fun! I think you did a great job!

Anonymous said...

You are too funny, Sister. I am so glad Kayleigh had such a fun party and weekend. No one can turn up their nose at a tasty homemade cake . . . no matter what season it is! The pictures are great.

Quincy Sorensen said...

Sorry, it's me here, not Kirk.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeannie,

Your family is adorable. I can't believe your baby is 12. My oldest just turned 19 last month and reported to the MTC last Wednesday. They grow up so fast!! It seem like just yesterday we were at a YW activity and you were cutting my hair! :-) Yikes!!!

Rachel said...

Jeannie, you were just trying to celebrate the last year of Kayleigh's life so that was why you had so many seasons combined for her party!!! No it looks like the girls had fun, especially Kayleigh and that is all that matters! And I love the clip board idea!!