Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Why We Sing



We attended Kayleigh's concert tonight. The 6th Grade Chorus proudly presented: "Why We Sing." We listened to a medley of songs ranging from African-American hymns to a song about an Irish lad reflecting on his home while at sea. The music was amazing. I was deeply touched by the talent of these young people.

My heart burst with joy as I watched Kayleigh sing tonight. She had the opportunity to sing with an advanced ensemble and even sang a duet in one of the songs. She has been practicing the lyrics all month:

"Children of the fiery furnace,
they did begin to pray;
and the angel of the Lord put the fire out,
And it sure was a mighty good day,
Good Lord!
It sure was a mighty good day."


She was perfectly poised and sang with complete confidence.

I was much more nervous than she was.

I left that concert tonight knowing that music brings us joy and we sing to lift our spirits.

It has been a mighty good day.


3 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Jeannie, you look so pretty in these pictures. So does the Birthday Girl. I am sure proud of her. One of these days we'll get to attend one of her performances. I'm glad it was a special experience. Love you.

Meredith said...

What a great experience - she is braver than I to do a duet! Remember when WE did a duet? The singing talent in the family is east of the Mississippi for sure! What a beautiful family. Jeannie, you look great...no sign of the earlier being frazzled to find the choir shirt!

Mary-Faith said...

Looks like she had fun!