Monday, April 20, 2009

The Catcher is My Guy




"I have a vision that you will hit a home run tonight." I humbly prophesy to Everett before each game.

"What if I don't?" He questions me.

"It's perfectly fine if you don't, but I think you will tonight." I assure him.


Now, it's time for the rest of the story:

Me: Mr. Baseball, how do you feel right now?

*It's important for me to share that Mr. B speaks to me in a very southern accent. Please read his answers in your most southern accent.

Mr. Baseball: I feel great!

Me: Why are you feeling so great?

Mr. Baseball: I hit a home run RBI, and when I was catchin', I threw someone out at second base. And, I also tagged someone out at second base.

Me: What's an RBI?

Before Mr. B can answer, the coach tries to answer for him. I told him to hush!

Mr. Baseball: It's a run batted in. It's when you are up to bat, and you hit a ball so the man on base can run home. Tonight I hit a home run when someone was on base.

Me: Thanks for that explanation. Did you see me cheering for you?

Mr. Baseball: (Mr. B smiles really big) Yes. I liked it a lot. It was really funny. You were up at the fence screaming.

Me: I sure was.

In the history of Everett's baseball games, I don't think I have ever screamed as much as I did tonight. I jumped up and down like I had just won the lottery. Everett had several guests tonight. I wanted him to hit a home run so badly for every one. Mommom, Papa, Nikki, and three of his neighborhood friends came to watch him. What was so cute is that the three of them were also jumping up and down. Mommom, Papa, and Nikki went wild too.

Me: How do you enjoy catching?

Mr. Baseball: I like it a lot.

The coach adds his two cents and praises Everett for being such a great catcher. We feel he may excel at this position.

Me: Do you like pitching or catching better?

Mr. Baseball: They're equal. (He then thinks about it some more.) Actually, If I had to choose I would choose catchin'.

Me: You are doing a great job at it. Is there any other reason why you are feeling so great tonight?

Mr. Baseball: Hmm...

Me: Have you already forgotten?

Mr. Baseball: Oh yeah...I got the game ball.

Me: Congratulations. You played a spectacular game tonight. Now, will you give me a kiss?

Mr.Baseball: Who me?

Me: Yes, you!

Mr. Baseball: I will kiss you if I can leave now and go to Publix with Daddy.

Me: I guess I'll settle for that.

Mr. Baseball: Smooch. I will give you another kiss if I can have $5 to spend at Publix.

Me: No thanks.

Kayleigh: I will kiss you for free!

That's my girl.

We did not win tonight. The final score tonight was 11-6.

Everett was on cloud nine anyway!




2 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Way to go, Everett! Jeannie, this post was HILARIOUS. I wish we could have been there rooting, too! Tell Everett I'll give him a kiss next time. He looks so handsome in those pictures.

Meredith said...

Love it!!! And I especially love the kiss for $5 bucks request - classic!! I am so proud of Mr. B - way to go with all those awesome baseball stats.