Friday, April 17, 2009

Garden Party



Dad and I spent the most delightful day together. We planted a garden in our backyard. Our friend, Leslie King, was kind enough to come over and offer his services to till the soil. Dad and I then went to Home Depot to get the tomato, cucumber, and pepper plants. I am the most excited about the cantaloupe seeds. It was a difficult decision to narrow down what I wanted to plant. When we arrived back home, we shared a simple lunch of ham and cheese sandwiches and Oreo cookies.

Our conversation was the most enjoyable part.

It is important for me to be a little more truthful and correct myself. Dad and I did have a delightful day, but "we" did not plant the garden.

He planted the garden.

I planted the cantaloupe seeds and the pepper plant, but Dad did all of the hard work. He created the beds, planted most of the plants, watered them, and cleaned up the mess.

Dad did inform me, however; I am to be the maintenance lady! All weeding and watering is my responsibility. This is where Kayleigh and Everett come in. They are excited about this garden and are eager to help water and weed it. I am glad for their excitement, because I will need all the help I can get.

We should be seeing the fruits of our labor by mid June. The cantaloupe will be ready in August. I will make sure I take pictures of my little garden's progress and post pictures along the way.

Aren't you so excited?


Please notice how hard my Dad is working!


4 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh, how wonderful!!! We toy with gardening and I keep dreaming of these raised beds I want to build (our soil is so awful and hard and clay - we need to add so much to it). You will all enjoy tending your little patch out back - what a great activity to do with your dad!

Meghan, Carson and the Kiddos said...

I've never planted cantalope before. Is it easy to maintain? I always do vegetables so maybe next year I will try some fruit as well. I tried strawberries last year, but my husband pulled them out thinking there were weeds. :)Good luck! Can't wait to see your progress and the fruits of your labor!

Quincy Sorensen said...

This was a fun surprise to read about . . . what a nice dad! I am very happy for you all.

Nikki said...

I'm most excited for the tomatoes. Yum! You have the bestest dad ever!