Monday, August 17, 2009

Mississippi State



The word of the day is Mississippi. In honor of Fall baseball officially starting; and because we had company for dinner on Saturday night, I made a Mississippi Mud Cake.

Guess what team Everett is on?

Mississippi State.

Mr. Baseball and The Coach are at practice right now.

Mississippi Mud Cake:

1 cup butter
3/4 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla
4 eggs. slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup pecans
I jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup coconut (optional)

Melt butter and cocoa together on low heat. (I do it in the microwave). Add vanilla, sugar, and eggs. Mix well. Add cocoa, flour, baking powder, nuts, and coconut. Mix well. Spoon mixture into two well-greased cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 19 minutes. Let cakes cool about 10 minutes then remove from cake pans.

Add about a half a jar of marshmallow cream to the middle layer. Let cool. This is very important. The marshmallow cream will ooze like an erupting volcano if it is still warm. I learned this the hard way!

Chocolate Icing:

3 cups confectioners sugar
3/4 cup cup cocoa
1 stick butter (room temperature)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup whipping cream

Use a mixer to beat the first four ingredients. Add whipping cream to your desired consistency.
Spread a layer of icing over the marshmallow cream. Then ice the entire cake.

If you want to be really fancy-- then sprinkle pecans on top of the cake like I did!

This is a very wicked cake.

Warning: Do not bake this cake if you're afraid of calories.



p.s. My darling little Kayleigh spent hours making me this new header for my blog. You are very creative. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I love you very much.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh, I love it!!!! The cake AND the new header. A few very talented ladies out there, indeed! Oh, and the men folk hold their own too...

Quincy Sorensen said...

I can't believe I've never made Mississippi Mud. I remember Dad making it for camping trips when I was little. Your cake version looks mighty fine! Your header is fantastic; it is as fancy as your cake. Way to go, Sister and Kayleigh!

Nikki said...

I can confirm that the cake not only looks delicious but tastes heavenly, too! Sister, you are quite the little baker! :) ♥