Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Things As They Really Are



While driving home from Emory University today, I remembered a conversation I had with a friend last winter. We were discussing why I started blogging, and I was telling her why I thought she should start blogging, too.

"I want to document our lives. I want my great-grand children to know who I am. My blog is a place where my children can go and read stories about our life together. " I sincerely shared with her.

"Yes. But, is it really accurate? She questioned.

"What do you mean?" I did not understand.

"Well, does a blog really portray your life? What if you are having a bad day or if your family is having a really difficult time? Are you going to share that? She further explained her question.

The answer to her question was simple in my mind.

"No."

Creating a happy illusion is a part of blogging. We want to share experiences that are fun and worthy of reading. My blog is a place where I have written about moments that will become treasured memories for my children.

It is a place where I will share my testimony.

And it is a place where sometimes I will post delicious cake recipes!

One year ago today, I started writing on this blog. We have been very blessed as a family and we have also had trials.

Last November Brad was laid-off from his job. I playfully mentioned it in a post last December. Over the past nine months, Brad has grown his part-time landscaping company into a thriving business. We are thankful he was granted the opportunity to pursue his dream of building his own company. What we believed to be absolutely devastating has turned out to be our greatest blessing.

I live with Glaucoma. The disease has been quiet for the past four years. However, the past few weeks have been difficult, because I have been dealing with some complications associated with this disease. There is an area on my eye that has torn where I previously had surgery. This is very serious because it puts me at at risk for eye infections; which could lead to losing my eye. I went to Emory University today to see if the tear on my eye has sealed.

It has not.

My doctor is having me wear a contact lens underneath my eye lid to put pressure on the area that it is leaking. We are hoping that the pressure from the contact lens will seal the eye, so I will not have to endure another surgery. My next doctor appointment is September 4th.

We are praying for a miracle.

I have been blessed with many over the years.

When I was at Emory last week, I ran into a Glaucoma clinical researcher that I first met in 1991.

After reminiscing for a few minutes, Donna said to me, "We have grown up together haven't we?" I laughed and agreed.

"You know, I have been blessed with many miracles when it comes to my vision." I continued.

Donna agreed with me by adding, "Oh, we discussed many times back in the day that God reached down and saved your vision."

I tried not to cry.

Living with hope is wonderful.

It allows me to see things as they really are--

That I am a very blessed person.


7 comments:

Meredith said...

That is just beautiful Jeannie. Thank you for sharing your life however you choose to edit it, for the blog. I sometimes call blogging revisionist history! ;)

Susan said...

This is so sweet Jeannie. Love you and your family.

Quincy Sorensen said...

It really is a puzzle, sometimes deciding what to share and what to withhold. Of course, you should share about your vision because everyone will pray for you and petition Heavenly Father that your eye will be healed. What a beautifully crafted post.

Nikki said...

Sister, this is so lovely! I'm so glad that shared this post idea with me during one of our walks together. ♥

Rachel said...

what a beautiful and true post. you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Betsy Baugh said...

You are one of my most treasured friends. Thank you for being you.

Natalie said...

Beautiful post Jeannie. I am touched by the way you write and share your thoughts. Your faith and your strength is evident. I pray that your eye will heal.