Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Love Story

Our engagement picture.

Nothing is better than reading
a great love story. Today, Brad and I celebrate 15 years of marriage. As I think about our life together, I am struck with the impression that we have been blessed with a love story of our own.

I'd like to share it.


Lasting Impressions

January 1988


The Christmas holidays were over. I was an eager freshman anxiously anticipating flying back to college. As the plane descended into Idaho Falls, a blanket of snow greeted me. It was a white wonderland. The Idaho Falls Airport is small in comparison to the Atlanta Airport, but it was still bustling with people. The snow started coming down harder limiting the possibility of finding transportation to take us to campus. We pursued all options to no avail.

I was stranded.

My friend and I discovered a group of students in the same predicament. After making our introductions, we all decided to grab a bite to eat while we waited for the snow storm to blow over.


We had just walked out of the Atlanta Temple hand in hand.


There was a student in our group who caught my attention. He had mentioned to us that he was from South Carolina. I loved meeting people from the South, and I quickly mentioned that I was from Georgia. There was a moment during our lunch together that I found myself staring at him. I could not understand why. There was no explanation for it; however, I now understand that an impression was being made upon my heart. Eventually, I would need to remember this day.

After eating lunch, the snow storm subsided, and our little group hailed a taxi to take us to campus. It's still a mystery to me how we all fit into that cab. It was a relief to finally make it to campus. When the time came for us to go our separate ways, we bid our farewells and expressed hopes of seeing each other around campus that semester.

I never saw him again that year.


Brad had been whispering sweet nothings into my ear;
keeping a straight face was quite difficult.


Opportunity Lost

July 1992

After attending college in Idaho and Utah for three years and serving a mission in Tucson, Arizona; I made the decision to stay in Atlanta. My best friend Jori and I became very involved with the Young Single adult Program with our church. The highlight of each summer was attending the Single Adult Conference-- with the hopes of us meeting Mr. Right! I will never forget while dancing with a friend, I looked across the room and noticed a very handsome man talking to a group of people. He seemed familiar to me. Did I know him? I almost approached him. I didn't dare. I simply couldn't remember how I recognized him.

The conference came to an end without our paths crossing.


I was so nervous when I had to cut the cake at my reception.
I actually attempted to use a fork to feed Brad his piece of cake.
People were yelling at me, "Jeannie, you're not to use a fork!
Use your fingers."
Oh, I was so embarrassed!
Brad was a true gentleman and didn't smash any wedding cake on my face.


A Second Chance
July 1993

A year had passed.
Jori and I were so excited for Young Single Adult Conference. Always at the back of my mind was the hope that I would meet someone. On the first night of the conference, I was standing around the parking lot visiting with my friends.

Then it happened.

There he was!

In an instant, I remembered him. I recalled clearly the day we were stranded at the Idaho Falls airport. We were freshman together at Ricks College. He was from South Carolina. We even hailed a cab together. It was fresh in my mind.

There were no reservations on my part. I immediately approached him.

"Excuse me, I believe we have met before."
I bravely spoke to him.

He turned to look at me and flashed the kindest smile.

"We have?" he asked.

"Yes, I believe we were stranded at the Idaho Falls airport when we were freshman at Ricks college." I explained.

He pondered this before responding.

"I remember that day!" He said with the most handsome smile.

I then introduced myself.

He shook my hand and told me his name was Brad Simmons.

At least, that's what it sounded like he said...

Our love song is "When I fall in Love."


Wouldn't it be lovely if I could share that Brad remembered me from that fateful meeting at the airport years ago? Brad remembered being stranded at the airport.

He just didn't remember me!

It didn't matter. He was perfectly willing to keep our conversation lingering and even invited me to a game of badminton or volleyball. My friends teased me in front of him saying, "She made the whole thing up, just so she could meet you!"

That put a smile on his face.

Later that night, Jori asked me, "How is it possible that you happened to get stranded at the airport with the cutest man at this conference?"

That put a smile on my face.

The next morning, I was hopeful to see him when we went tubing down the Chattahoochee River. I only saw him once, and he didn't have a shirt on. I was struck with the realization that I was very attracted to him, and it made me turn my head and giggle like a little school girl!

I was so excited for the formal dance that evening. We saw each other at the beginning of the dance, spoke for a few minutes, and then he excused himself. I truly believed he would make his way back to me very quickly. He didn't. Would you believe that he waited until the very last dance of the evening before he asked me to dance?

It's true.

When conference was over. Brad approached me to ask for my phone number. I fumbled the piece of paper with my phone number on it as I handed it back to him.

I was giddy.

I had met someone that I liked.

A lot!

This is my favorite wedding picture.


The Long Wait
July-September 1993


When I returned home, my parents heard about Brad for days. I sat by the phone waiting for his phone call. I had a notebook where I scribbled, "Jeannie Simmons, Mrs. Jeannie Simmons, Mrs. Brad Simmons" all through its pages. Days and nights turned into weeks. He never called me.

I was heart broken.

At the beginning of August, I flew to Chicago for a long weekend to attend the wedding of my best friend from college. After she and her husband left for their honeymoon, I had some time with Martha's parents. Her Dad and I had a wonderful conversation about friendship. He knew that my heart was hurting. That night he promised me that I would be married within one year.

Was that possible?

Our family cheering us farewell.

September had arrived
. The first Friday of every month was designated for the Young Single Adult dances. Jori and I never dreamed of missing a dance. However, that Friday evening, I was not feeling well. I did not want to go.

And I almost didn't.

At the last minute I decided to go. Brad was waiting for me at the dance. I wanted to ignore him. He approached me immediately. I was cool. I can recall asking him why I had not heard from him. He tried to explain that he was busy with work and had flown to Idaho at the beginning of August to attend his friend's wedding. He stated that he had always planned on seeing me at this dance.

"Oh, really?" I responded with shock, "I almost did not come tonight!"

"Then, I would have called you."

All of a sudden I was very hot.

I was nervous. I decided to share with him that I had been to Chicago for a wedding as well. We had a wonderful conversation. I was warming to him. Brad made his intentions known immediately.

He invited me to go with him to an Atlanta Braves baseball game.

With his parents!


The Courtship
October 1993

Going on a first date with your "future in-laws" can be quite intimidating. However, Bill and Shirley treated me like a member of the family from the moment we met. There are a hundred stories I could share about our courtship.

This one is the best!

Brad and I were devoted to each other after our first date. We lived in different states, so we only saw each other on the weekends. When Brad invited me to come to South Carolina for the first time, I was very nervous. When I arrived, Brad was still getting dressed. I was greeted warmly by Shirley. When Brad came upstairs, I was so happy to see him. He gave me a big hug and invited me into the kitchen.

I noticed a letter on the kitchen table addressed to "The Simpson Family."

"Who is the Simpson Family?"
I sincerely asked.

He was incredulous. He had to think I was crazy.

"We are!"


"WHAT? Your last name is Simpson?" I questioned with a gaping jaw.

(You need to remember that I had a notebook at home filled with pages of Jeannie Simmons scribbled all over it)!

I continued," I thought you told me your last name was "Simmons" when we met last July!"

"No, I'm positive that we're the Simpson family." Brad joked.

We both started laughing hysterically.

Now, I had to adjust to the idea of becoming Mrs. Jeannie Simpson.

I had to go by me a new notebook...

El Pronto!


15 years later with our darling children:
Kayleigh, Everett, and Cozette.


Brad and I were married 10 months later.


What is true love?

Being married to Brad has taught me more about its true nature:

It is kind. It is unselfish. It is hopeful. It is hard work. It is yearning. It is unwavering. It is forgiving. It is loyal. It is giving. It is tender. It is intense. It is passionate. It is laughter. It is support. It is tears. It is trusting. It is respectful. It is honorable. It is lasting. It is forever.

It is Brad.

We have been blessed with a great love.

And the best part about this love story is that it will never end!

Happy Anniversary, my love.


7 comments:

Susan said...

Happy Anniversary Guys! Great story.
Our 10 year anniversary is tomorrow.

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

Ok, I LOVED this! It was amazing to read. I think all stories of love are awesome - and y'all's is no exception. Congrats on 15 years!

Quincy Sorensen said...

I have a huge smile on my face. Yours truly is a love story, and it is eternal. You and Brad compliment each other so well. You capture your courtship so well in this post, and the pictures are so dreamy. You look so beautiful in them, and of course, Brad is so handsome. Happy, happy anniversary, dear sister.

Betsy Baugh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betsy Baugh said...

Loved it. You're such a talented author. You should write a book. We love you guys. Congratulations :0)

Natalie said...

It has been so fun to read this perfect love story. What a beautiful couple you are. Happy Anniversary!

Meredith said...

What a fun read!!! I have heard this all before but I love the way you write - so clear and expressive and pure - straight from your heart. Here's to more great times for you!!!