Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Top 10



The 10 best things about our Thanksgiving trip to Columbia:

10. Sleeping in late.

I never thought I would see the day when I thought sleeping in until 8:45 would seem so luxurious. Every one knows that I can easily sleep until noon. Little Cozette has changed that for me. It really was nice to sleep in until 8:45 without any alarms disturbing us.

9. Delicious Food.

Kayleigh starts talking about Grandma's home cookin' days before we actually arrive. It is a favorite family topic as we drive towards Columbia. We all hope she prepares our favorites. Brad usually calls and asks what she has prepared for us. I especially look forward to having a selection of at least six drinks to choose from at each meal. I never choose water because I am so healthy; and she always has a selection of about four or five desserts. It's paradise for a dessert loving person like me!

8. South Carolina State Museum.

We usually have many fun outings while visiting Bill and Shirley. A favorite spot for Kayleigh and Everett is the museum. I enjoy it too. It's fun learning unique facts about South Carolina's history. This year I discovered the answer to something I have always wondered.

What is the difference between a sweet potato and a yam? ( I thought a yam was a canned sweet potato)

Nothing.

Plantation owners owned slaves from many African nations. Communication was difficult due to the many different languages spoken. As the slaves attempted to speak to one another, a new language called "Gullah" was created combining these native languages. Some of the words derived from this language are okra, yam, and tote.

7. Cozette being the center of attention.

Let me just say that she really did put on her very best tricks for every one. We all thought we were going to eat her up!

6. The Flight Deck.

This is a unique restaurant that is centered around airplanes. I thought it was quite clever that the steak entrees were listed under "the Beef-52's." There is a game room which made all the kiddos go crazy with excitement and the highlight was watching Cozette climbing up the Ski Ball game.

5. The Carousel.

Cozette and I rode our very first merry-go-round. She also rode it with her Daddy and was so cute as she waved to all of us. I was secretly pleased that Kayleigh, Everett, and Mary-Faith were just as excited to ride and didn't feel they were too big for it!

4. "Total."

This is our new family expression. A favorite family activity is playing games. Scattergories is our game of choice. Brad and Everett are usually on the same team and the answers they come up with are more than amusing and usually make us laugh hysterically. We played a round that the letter was "T" and the category was, "something you shout."

My answer was, "that is not nice." ( a very reasonable answer.)

Brad and Everett's answer was "TOTAL." It was hilarious to see them shout "TOTAL." We argued that they did not give a real answer but it made us laugh so much that we agreed to give them a point.

So now, we will say "total" to each other while we pass each other in the halls at church. I think it means we are doing totally great.

Even Shirley and Barbara were saying it to each other!

3. Straightening Mary-Faith's hair.

I thought it would be fun to see how her lovely curly hair would look straight. We were not expecting how beautiful it was going to look. It was worth it to see her Mom's and Shirley's reaction.

2. Celebrating Thanksgiving.

We have been blessed with so much. We loved being with Bill and Shirley, Barbara and Mary-Faith.

1. Bill's homemade pecan pie.

It's really embarrassing when I think about how much of it I ate. At dinner last night, when I finished off the last piece, I asked Bill and Shirley if they even got a piece. They were so kind and assured me they did get a piece. But, that was all they got. I know that I ate about 3/4 of that pecan pie. It was the best I have ever eaten.

We really did have a fantastic time.

3 comments:

Mary-Faith said...

We did have fun, didn't we? =)

Meredith said...

What a fun time - maybe some day we can do Thanksgiving with you guys. For now, I look forward to Christmas! Last year we straightened my Aunt Shelly's hair with my flat iron - it was really crazy - she had not straightened since the 70's. I bet Mary-Faith enjoyed the different look!

Quincy Sorensen said...

This was a very fun post. I think you have such a wonderful extended family and in-laws. I always love to be around them. Bill and Shirley are both so gentle and easy.

Thanks for clarifying the yam/sweet potato issue! I totally thought the same thing. Get it, TOTALLY. Err, TOTAL!

Can I get some of that pecan pie?